News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replacing Felt on Base of WE 202 Telephone

Started by caltx01, June 28, 2013, 08:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caltx01

I have restored my WE 202 telephone so that it works on my VoIP line and I have polished it so that it looks almost new.  The thing that has stumped me is the replacement of the felt on the base plate of the phone.

I purchased a pre-cut piece of felt from ebay thinking I could do this myself but of all the tasks I have had to do on this phone this one turned out to be the one that has me stumped.  I totally messed up the piece of felt that I bought.

So my question is does anyone on the forum know of someone who who would put a new piece of felt on my base pate if I sent it to them?

Thanks in advance for any advice as to anyone who performs t his type of repair/restoration.

Regards,
Cal in Texas

dencins

You can see how I put leather covers on base plates here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dencins/WECoBasePlateCover# ( dead link 03-09-21 )

The process is the same for 202 except the fixture is oval.

If you use felt make sure it is woven felt not pressed.  Pressed felt can come apart when trying to push the spring in place.  Woven felt is still used for pool table surfaces.

I charge $7.00 plus return shipping to put a leather cover on a 202 base plate.

Dennis

Greg G.

Interesting, I didn't know chocolate was one of the flavors available. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Keep in mind that felt was not used on WE baseplates.  The material used on some baseplates and 302 feet is a woven wool material or leather.  Candlestick phones used either brown or green wool.  The felt sold on eBay is incorrect and often tears when you try to use it.  The material is usually too thick and can only be used if you shorten the retaining spring.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409