News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT/NT 564 Buzzer Connections?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 29, 2014, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

That diagram (pg. 191) is actually for a 564 set with 589 Key. The main difference is that the ringer is used as a line ringer only--connected to Tip and Ring of any one line, rather than as a common audible ringer, where it would ring for any line.

RR and RT in the later set with 636 Key (page 192) is normally where the ringer connects, also the yellow-slate pair of the mtg. cord.

Are you using a ring generator? If not, you could disconnect the ringer from RR and RT and connect your buzzer there, using the yellow-slate pair. The ringer would then be connected to Tip and Ring of any one line (1T/1R, or 2T/2R, etc.)

I still don't understand why your phone doesn't have a yellow-orange pair on 3 and 4, or perhaps moved somewhere else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slate-White is a mostly gray wire with white stripes.
White-Slate is a mostly white wire with gray stripes.

SLT-WHT (not white-slate), GRN-RED (not red-green), BLU-BLK (not black-blue) and BRN-BLK (not black-brown) are spares in the ITT 564. (They're needed for 1A Key as balance leads, but not needed for 1A1 or 1A2.) So you could use these, but you would have to make sure that the corresponding wires in the 25-pair cables are not connected (or cross-connected) in the usual manner.

Are you are using individual split 66 blocks, with a 25-pair cable on each side, then cross-connected (usually with 3-pair jumper wire for each line)  to a feeder cable from the KSU? Or are you connecting the 25-pair cables directly inside the KSU?

WHT-SLT is the A lead for Line 2 and should be connected to 2H.
RED-GRN is the A lead for line 3 and should be connected to 3H.
BLK-BLU is the A lead for line 4 and should be connected to 4H.
BLK-BRN is the A lead for line 5 and should be connected to 5H.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 30, 2014, 12:32:01 PM
That diagram (pg. 191) is actually for a 564 set with 589 Key. The main difference is that the ringer is used as a line ringer only--connected to Tip and Ring of any one line, rather than as a common audible ringer, where it would ring for any line.

RR and RT in the later set with 636 Key (page 192) is normally where the ringer connects, also the yellow-slate pair of the mtg. cord.

Are you using a ring generator? If not, you could disconnect the ringer from RR and RT and connect your buzzer there, using the yellow-slate pair. The ringer would then be connected to Tip and Ring of any one line (1T/1R, or 2T/2R, etc.)

I still don't understand why your phone doesn't have a yellow-orange pair on 3 and 4, or perhaps moved somewhere else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slate-White is a mostly gray wire with white stripes.
White-Slate is a mostly white wire with gray stripes.

SLT-WHT (not white-slate), GRN-RED (not red-green), BLU-BLK (not black-blue) and BRN-BLK (not black-brown) are spares in the ITT 564. (They're needed for 1A Key as balance leads, but not needed for 1A1 or 1A2.) So you could use these, but you would have to make sure that the corresponding wires in the 25-pair cables are not connected (or cross-connected) in the usual manner.

Are you are using individual split 66 blocks, with a 25-pair cable on each side, then cross-connected (usually with 3-pair jumper wire for each line)  to a feeder cable from the KSU? Or are you connecting the 25-pair cables directly inside the KSU?

WHT-SLT is the A lead for Line 2 and should be connected to 2H.
RED-GRN is the A lead for line 3 and should be connected to 3H.
BLK-BLU is the A lead for line 4 and should be connected to 4H.
BLK-BRN is the A lead for line 5 and should be connected to 5H.

I am too confused why it does not have the buzzer pair, but the 25 pair connector only has 17 pins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two phones hooked up on 1 66 block, left two pins is one phone and right two is another. Then we used jumper wire (which is bridged between the two phones) for the intercom line. So, to answer your question, yes.

Everything you explain about the A lead wiring is correct in my phones.

Ben

poplar1

1. Do you have a ring generator or not?

2. The table on page 190, under the column for 34-conductor, shows 8 leads are taped up and stored: the 4 unused leads discussed before, and also the yellow-green pair and the yellow-orange pair. They are shown with a (b) next to the color in the table.

Are both the yellow-green pair and the yellow-orange pair missing? They might be hiding under something since they are not factory-connected to anything.

WesternElectricBen

1. I'm not sure what you mean by ring generator, I have an interrupter and this brown coil like thing that plugs up to the internal PSU.

Yellow-Green and Yellow-Orange are both missing. I looked and looked and there are no pairs hiding, but I'l check once more. EDIT: I removed the top board and the leads are still nowhere to be found.

Ben

Phonesrfun

The ring generator converts 60 cycle AC power to ringing current of about 75 volts at 20 cycles.  Some are 30 cycles (Hz).  They are usually in KSU's an are connected to the interruptor, which turns the ringing current on and off for the ringing cadence.
The 115A Frequency generator is a square black potted network measuring about 3"x3"x4" and has a very short AC plug on one end and two screw terminals for the ringing current output.  It is made to fit nicely in the standard WE "shoebox".
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Okay,

I'm 99% sure I have that, because you describe it as the little brown coil (thingy dingy.) :)

Ben

poplar1

So is this from the ITT 601 you got last year?

Are you currently using the ringers in the phones? If so, how are they connected---to Tip and Ring of a particular line, or to RT and RR?

paul-f

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 30, 2014, 03:24:38 PM
The 115A Frequency generator is a square black potted network measuring about 3"x3"x4" and has a very short AC plug on one end and two screw terminals for the ringing current output.  It is made to fit nicely in the standard WE "shoebox".

We know you meant to type 118A...
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7026.msg79858#msg79858
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 30, 2014, 06:19:14 PM
So is this from the ITT 601 you got last year?

Are you currently using the ringers in the phones? If so, how are they connected---to Tip and Ring of a particular line, or to RT and RR?

Yep, this is all connected up to my ITT breadbox/shoe box.

I have all the lines able to ring, hooked up to yellow-slate and violet-blue.

Ben

poplar1

Do you have other violet pairs inside the phone? If so, you can use any of the other violet pairs inside the phone since these are used only for exclusion (Violet-blue <pair> and violet-orange pair) or for speakerphone (V-G, V-BR, V-SL). (violet-green pair, violet-brown pair, and violet-slate pair).

I see there is a 42-conductor cord with no yellow-orange or yellow-green pairs, but it has all five violet pairs. But normally it would be on a 565, not a 564. Is your phone marked 564 or 565?

WesternElectricBen

Okay, thank you for the information, I will try that. Will I have to change any leads on the block?

The typeface is really worn on the phones, but they are both 564 sets.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

From a quick look, there are the speaker phone leads, would it matter what two of the 3 I hook it up to? Or would I want two of the leads being with one buzzer lead?

Thank you,
Ben

poplar1

If you are not using an exclusion key (left plunger pull up) or speakerphone anyway, you can just pick Violet-Orange pair, Violet-Green pair, Violet-brown pair, or Violet-Slate pair. However, you might want to move the pair that you use to terminals 3 and 4 and connect the buzzer there to whichever pair you pick, just in case they are connected to something else now.

WesternElectricBen

I tried most of the pairs and nothing. Dang..

Ben

poplar1

You have the buzzer working if you connect it directly to the intercom output on whichever number you are dialing, but it won't work inside the phone?