News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green 302

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 21, 2013, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I finally got a green 302: ebay link!  It arrived this afternoon, about three hours earlier than the mail usually arrives.  The plastic is dull and has some scratches, but I did not notice any cracks.  The finger wheel is shot, and the dial barely turns, but I plugged in the phone, and the transmitter and receiver worked.  The shell is VERY tight over the base.  I loosened the screws and gently tried removing the shell, but it did not budge in the slightest.  For now, the phone is set aside until I find the nerve to try to remove the shell.

I thought that I would never find one of these for an affordable price.  This one was a $49 BIN, and I couldn't resist.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Very nice...now I am green (with envy)!

wds

Very nice.  Goes to show you can still get some great deals on Ebay.  You must have bought that one minutes after it hit Ebay?
Dave

George Knighton

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 21, 2013, 02:41:21 PMFor now, the phone is set aside until I find the nerve to try to remove the shell.

Get ready for all the advice about where to set the oven, or how long to leave it in a car on a sunny day.  

Still trying to find my Green 302, and jealous.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

LarryInMichigan

I just managed to gently pry the shell off of the base about one minute ago :).  Every date inside is 1953.

Larry

Sargeguy

Wow!!!  I thought the one I just bought for $185 was a good deal because it only had one corner crack and needed a fingerwheel and cords!  I have another one i paid $125 for that had a large crack in the front and discolored caps! 

To remove the base, I would place the phone on top of a furnace or radiator, in the oven on warm for 5-10 minutes (remember to set timer!!!).  With the screws loosened, pick it up and see if the base separates, don't try to pry it off.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 21, 2013, 05:10:01 PM
Wow!!!  I thought the one I just bought for $185 was a good deal because it only had one corner crack and needed a fingerwheel and cords!  I have another one i paid $125 for that had a large crack in the front and discolored caps! 
I can't afford to buy one with cracks, so I bought one without cracks and will have to add my own cracks ;D

To remove the base, I would place the phone on top of a furnace or radiator, in the oven on warm for 5-10 minutes (remember to set timer!!!).  With the screws loosened, pick it up and see if the base separates, don't try to pry it off.
Too late.  It's already been pried off.  I banged the edges and corners of the base quite a bit, but it's still a slightly tight fit, so I think that I might have to resort to grinding the base corners a bit.

The dial is a 6D dated 12-53 like most of the other parts.  The ringer gongs were rotated so that the clapper was completely unable to move.  I cannot imagine why someone would have do that rather than disconnect the ringer.  Here are some inside pictures.

Larry

Gilas

Amazing find and congrats.  Still a 302 that I need to find someday.  Definitely a find of the month!!!

AE40FAN

Find of the month nominee for sure!

Doug Rose

Larry....HOME RUN!!! What a great find at a really bargain basement price. You done good!!...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

darn! Nice score Larry!
If you need it I have a replacement fingerwheel for you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 21, 2013, 08:16:25 PM
darn! Nice score Larry!
If you need it I have a replacement fingerwheel for you.

Thank you Harry.  I might have a finger wheel.  I am going to be busy for a few weeks, and the phone needs some cleaning, sanding, and polishing, so the finger wheel will have to wait a while.

Larry

cihensley@aol.com

Good find at a nice price Larry.

Chuck

baldopeacock

Quote from: wds on March 21, 2013, 04:48:56 PM
Very nice.  Goes to show you can still get some great deals on Ebay.  You must have bought that one minutes after it hit Ebay?

looks like about 13 minutes, from the listing bid history.   :)

This was a steal.   Great find.

LarryInMichigan

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.  I pushed the button as quickly as I could.  There was also a bid option with something like a $25 opening bid.  I almost panicked when paypal refused to let me pay.  I had to call them and wait on hold forever until someone reset something on my account so that I could make the payment.

Larry