News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

a rogue 911 call from a KTS....

Started by Babybearjs, April 21, 2017, 11:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

what a interesting time I'm having trying to figure out where the short is....In the meantime..... I get Boise PD at my door saying there was a 911 call from my number..... love these systems....has this happened to anyone else?? I was getting so frustrated with my KTS... I had to pull then entire network off-line except for 1 extension until I fix the problem.... part of the problem is my house has a North/South exposure.... and the problem is on the North side of the house....where all the shade, and moisture is....and dampness... anyway.... having the police show up is interesting when I really needed a telephone tech!
John

twocvbloke

Rouge as in red? Or Rogue as in unwanted?  ;D

(sorry, came across a youtube comment just a short while ago that pointed out the same thing on Rouge versus Rogue!!)

Babybearjs

OOOPS! sorry about that... rogue, as in Rogue One! (have you seen it yet??)
John

Victor Laszlo

Not a lot of info to go on.  Here are the questions that you should be asking yourself:

Did the police verify that the call came from your telephone number?

Do you subscribe to a POTS service that allows you to view past activity on-line?

Do you have a tool to allow checking your outgoing dialed numbers, such as a Digit Grabber?

Has it happened more than once?

Can you default the system to clear any possible speed dial memory numbers?

Did you, or anyone in the house, at the time of the call, attempt to dial some other number, such as an NPA perhaps starting with the digit "9"?

Does your central office require "1 + " dialing, or can you dial an NPA directly?

Do you have extensions that require an escape digit of "9" to access an outside line?

TelePlay

EDIT:  Title corrected from rouge to rogue in all posts

Babybearjs

John

mariepr

I don't know what is going on but my workplace had a huge problem with unintended 9-1-1 calls when dialing international calls.  It seems dialing 9 for outside followed by country codes was instead routed to local 911 emergency services.  They finally fixed the problem by changing the outgoing call digit from 9 to 1.

poplar1

Quote from: mariepr on April 23, 2017, 09:56:40 PM
I don't know what is going on but my workplace had a huge problem with unintended 9-1-1 calls when dialing international calls.  It seems dialing 9 for outside followed by country codes was instead routed to local 911 emergency services.  They finally fixed the problem by changing the outgoing call digit from 9 to 1.

"Kari's Law"?
http://kxan.com/2015/05/15/gov-greg-abbott-signs-karis-law-for-easier-911-access/

Her daughter tried to call 911 but was unsuccessful, not realizing she had to dial '9' to get an outside line.

The death spurred the national campaign after Kari Dunn's family launched the effort to make all hotels allow guests to dial 911 without having to first press another number.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: mariepr on April 23, 2017, 09:56:40 PM

Someone did not do their homework when designing the dial plan for the corporate PBX system. Many IT people seem to think they can install Asterisk themselves and look good for saving some $$.  But whatever, the hypothesis does no seem logical, because if 9 is absorbed as escape from the local system, it seems difficult to dial 911, not easier.

poplar1

In other words, many PBXs that use 9 for accessing an outgoing trunk are now programmed to interpret any dialing sequence beginning with "9+11" as "9 +911" -- which results in a call to the 911 Dispatch Center.

Summary: H.R.4167 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)
All Bill Information (Except Text)
There are 2 summaries for H.R.4167.
Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Passed House amended (05/23/2016)

Kari's Law Act of 2016

(Sec. 2) This bill amends the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit businesses from manufacturing or importing for use in the United States, or selling or leasing in the United States, a multi-line telephone system unless it is pre-configured to allow users to directly initiate a call to 9-1-1 (without dialing any additional digit, code, prefix, or post-fix, including any trunk-access code such as the digit "9") from any station equipped with dialing facilities.

Businesses are prohibited from installing, managing, or operating multi-line telephone systems without such a direct 9-1-1 call configuration.

Businesses installing, managing, or operating such systems for use in the United States must configure the systems to provide a notification to a central location at the facility where the system is installed, or to another person or organization regardless of location, if the system is able to be so configured without an improvement to the hardware or software.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4167

Babybearjs

well, in my case, sort of... I was working on my system and line 1 kept picking up by itself and the relays chattered... I didn't think it could make a call, since I'm running a 1A1 system.... but somehow it did.... when the police came by to check out what was going on he stated that the call came through and then static....which is what I was hearing on the line when I was trying to troubleshoot it.... its cleared up now, but line 2 is still down, everytime I plug in the connecting fuse, the relays actuate.... why I'm not sure, but my A-lead on line 2 is grounding out somewhere and I have yet to find the problem... thus line 2 stays down until the problem is fixed....
John

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on April 23, 2017, 10:49:37 PM
if 9 is absorbed as escape from the local system, it seems difficult to dial 911, not easier.

9 is inserted, not absorbed, whenever someone dials "9,11." This allows the call to be completed as if "9,911" had been dialed.

When an AT&T customer orders a new Centrex here, the usual offering includes "assume dial 9." This allows the subscriber to dial outside calls as 10 digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX) rather than dialing 9 (to access a NAR) + 10 digits. Calls to other lines in the same Centrex group are usually 4 or 5 digits.

Perhaps some people are programming their systems to always insert a leading 9, so that no trunk access code has to be dialed.
South Fulton Hospital here has changed the trunk access code on their PBX  from "9" to "8."

twocvbloke

I guess we brits and our 999 made it a lot less complicated, there is no reason that you'd dial 9 for an outside followed by 99, so it can be interpreted as an emergency call to 999 without worrying about causing rogue calls when trying to dial international numbers... :)

Of course we also have 101 (Police) and 111 (Medical) for non-emergencies, so, the latter would probably be confusing for a phone system, 9-111... ;D

poplar1

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 23, 2017, 11:52:40 PM
I guess we brits and our 999 made it a lot less complicated, there is no reason that you'd dial 9 for an outside followed by 99, so it can be interpreted as an emergency call to 999 without worrying about causing rogue calls when trying to dial international numbers... :)

Of course we also have 101 (Police) and 111 (Medical) for non-emergencies, so, the latter would probably be confusing for a phone system, 9-111... ;D

What happens if you dial "999" from a PBX line that requires dialing 9 for outside? This would be the same as dialing "99" from a residential line, would it not?

Kari's Law resulted from a child's futile attempts to report an emergency because she didn't know that she had to dial "9911" from a motel, rather than the "911" that she had probably learned by watching Sesame Street.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2017, 11:05:33 PM
In other words, many PBXs that use 9 for accessing an outgoing trunk are now programmed to interpret any dialing sequence beginning with "9+11" as "9 +911" -- which results in a call to the 911 Dispatch Center.

Summary: H.R.4167 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)
All Bill Information (Except Text)
There are 2 summaries for H.R.4167.
Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Passed House amended (05/23/2016)

Kari's Law Act of 2016

(Sec. 2) This bill amends the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit businesses from manufacturing or importing for use in the United States, or selling or leasing in the United States, a multi-line telephone system unless it is pre-configured to allow users to directly initiate a call to 9-1-1 (without dialing any additional digit, code, prefix, or post-fix, including any trunk-access code such as the digit "9") from any station equipped with dialing facilities.

Businesses are prohibited from installing, managing, or operating multi-line telephone systems without such a direct 9-1-1 call configuration.

Businesses installing, managing, or operating such systems for use in the United States must configure the systems to provide a notification to a central location at the facility where the system is installed, or to another person or organization regardless of location, if the system is able to be so configured without an improvement to the hardware or software.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4167

Yep,  I work at a bank, and the local 911 folks are kind of touchy when a 911 call comes in from a bank.  I learned the hard way that any sequence that starts with 911 results in a 911 call.  In our PBX, like most others, you dial a 9 for outside then dial a 1 for a "long distance" call, whatever that is these days.  Anyway, I went to call someone and hit the 9, then a 1, then accidentally hit the wrong next number.  I hit another 1.  It didn't even register with me that I had just dialed 911.  I just hung up to try again.  Right after I hung up from that call my phone rang and it was the police asking why I had called 911.  I had to think about it, but after a short explanation, I found out from them that what I did was more commonly done than one would think.

-Bill G