News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unknown Item At An Unusually High Price

Started by HarrySmith, February 07, 2018, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I checked in to eBay this morning and got the usual page after page of resin repro phones from Australia. After finally getting through all that I got to page after page of "picture coming soon" with a title of "Unknown Item At An Unusually High Price" with a BIN of $14.99 and $461.95 shipping!
What is going on here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273059027345
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Well, when I clicked on the link and the eBay page opened, I got a malware message and my protection software stopped something . . .

So, maybe you found another way someone has figured out to hack into a computer. I'll leave that up to the guys who know better than I.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273059027345

Low feedback seller. I cancelled out of eBay after grabbing this screen capture.

TelePlay

Clicked the link again to get the description and got another noticed that something was blocked. Anyway, here's the seller's description (copy and saved it into a simple txt file, scanned the file for maleware, nothing showed up, copied the text out of the txt file to here) and I did not click on the image, as suggested:

"For sale today is an unknown item at an unusually high price. Includes what's pictured. Let the pictures be the best descriptor. Please click on the pictures below for a larger more detailed image. This is sold AS-IS no warranty, for parts or repair.

Please disregard Ebay's delivery estimate. There is almost no way I can get this to you in 3-4 days, using the US Postal system. I will ship your item(s) within 3 business days of cleared payment, normally the next business day.

Please note: We are human and sometimes make mistakes, so if there is a difference between the text in the title and description and the photos, the photos are actual photos of the item listed and will be considered the correct information. If there is any question please email me.

Check out my feedback and bid with confidence!!

What you see is what you get, so email me with any questions before you bid!!

Will combine shipping on multiple items!

What you see is what you get, so email me with any questions.

Local pickup available at NO CHARGE!

Insurance is not required, but recommended at an additional cost.

Thanx for looking and Happy Bidding!!"

WEBellSystemChristian

For the first time ever, I am not clicking that eBay link! :o

I definitely don't trust anything about that listing. It seems like a simple sarcastic listing, but the fact that John got a Malware message says something...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

I trust the three layers of maleware software I have on my computer so tried the link again (to capture the maleware message) just now.

The listing has been taken down by eBay. Glad I grabbed the screen capture before it went away.

HarrySmith

It was not just that one listing! I picked that one at random, there was 3 or 4 pages of them!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 07, 2018, 03:55:57 PM
It was not just that one listing! I picked that one at random, there was 3 or 4 pages of them!

An obvious malevolent lister.

Were you getting bad web site warnings when you clicked on the links? Were they all the same "product" or item for sale? Same seller?

HarrySmith

They were all exactly the same. No items pictured, just the photo I attached with "pictures coming soon". Which was also strange as in the description he stated the pictures were the description!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Glad I got the description above. This one line just kills me . . .  :o

" Check out my feedback and bid with confidence!!"

TelePlay

Did a google search for "unknown item at an unusually high price" and got several hits including eBay and this site:

http://www.nandcstore.top/

A bit more pricey there at $23. No description. Also, no malware warning.

twocvbloke

I've read about youtube inadvertently serving up ads put up by criminal organisations that dropped code onto sucker computers that ran cryptocurrency-mining software in the background, maybe this has something to do with that (hence the malware warnings), natural curiosity gets you to look at the listing, something drops a payload on your computer, and you're now a node in some dodgy currency mining operation... :-\

Might want to give your computers a good scanning with Malwarebytes, just to be sure... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 07, 2018, 06:39:48 PM
Might want to give your computers a good scanning with Malwarebytes, just to be sure... ;D

That what gave me the warning and then on a system scan including rootkits, found nothing so it did what I pay for in blocking the site it discovered.

Also running Phoenix 360 which is so far System Mechanic Pro plus Privacy Guardian. Plus I'm running Adblock Plus and and Auto Cookies Delete.

Sometimes it all slows down the system a bit but I hope it's doing its job.