News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5 Touch tone starlights for 17.50!!!

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 28, 2013, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monophone_lover

Terry sounds bout right... they sure do look like AE BUT I believe your correct there a dime a dozen here..
Rob
ATCA # 4057

AE_Collector

Well Starlites HERE aren't worth a whole bunch either. Has to be a nice early one with the built in AC cord to light the dial to get much interest. I've always liked them though and like seeing the foreign versions as well. And, the lack of two buttons must help the value somewhat!

Terry

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Partyline4

I've always wondered why AE and NE stuff doesn't price up with W.E....They're telephones....We collect telephones....Why are some telephones worthless while others that look exactly the same, worth more? I understand the manufacturer stories and everything, but AE made VERY HIGH quality phones, with their own design, whose sound quality was superior to W.E's of the time, and still are in my opinion. Great Grandpa's old Turquoise AE80 is still the best sounding phone in the collection, HANDS DOWN!!!

twocvbloke

It's all down to names, people buy Ford over Honda, people eat lettuce instead of steak, people drink Budweiser instead of Bombardier, the majority goes for what the majority goes for...

monophone_lover

Quote from: compubit on February 08, 2018, 10:43:06 PM
Is that a Nothern Electric Contessa (Aqua Blue) I see? Cool!

Jim

Yes i think it is NE i always thought it cool that the two plastic retainer plates (for number cards) were separated, I neve knew why or even tha it was a Contessa.just assumed it was a princess...thanks for info...
Rob
ATCA # 4057

Partyline4

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 09, 2018, 02:17:28 AM
It's all down to names, people buy Ford over Honda, people eat lettuce instead of steak, people drink Budweiser instead of Bombardier, the majority goes for what the majority goes for...

Shame

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 09, 2018, 02:17:28 AM

Ahh, so Bombardier really is in the news over there quite a bit lately (causing you to pull the name out of a hat). After who knows how much long term damage was done they managed to be cleared of wrong doing in the giant competitors attempt to put them out of business "to level the playing field" as Boeing called it. Now if Bombardier can overcome its own managements mishandling of most things maybe their game changing new product (Cseries regional jet) can really take off!

Sorry for rant.....a Bombardier Shareholder.

WEBellSystemChristian

I just look at the products each company built when I decide which to collect. Western Electric was the trailblazer for 60 years or so, and ITT, Stromberg Carlson, and Northern Electric (albeit a Western Electric sister company) were the copycats. When the 500 was released, ITT/Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson ditched their 302-based designs in favor of a 500-style design, growing closer and closer to the 500 with time, but just barely varied enough to avoid a lawsuit. When they were allowed to buy rights to the design, they immediately jumped on the bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, their 500 variations were great, but lacked any individual creativity or self-respect.

AE, on the other hand, was proud to provide their own designs. While the Type 80 was possibly their closest in external design to a WE product, they had some great functional designs that provided some serious competition with WE. AE never actually gave in to any of WE's designs AFAIK, which I immensely respect.

AE comes in at a close second behind WE as far as favorite manufacturer goes.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Partyline4

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 09, 2018, 10:42:28 AM
I just look at the products each company built when I decide which to collect. Western Electric was the trailblazer for 60 years or so, and ITT, Stromberg Carlson, and Northern Electric (albeit a Western Electric sister company) were the copycats. When the 500 was released, ITT/Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson ditched their 302-based designs in favor of a 500-style design, growing closer and closer to the 500 with time, but just barely varied enough to avoid a lawsuit. When they were allowed to buy rights to the design, they immediately jumped on the bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, their 500 variations were great, but lacked any individual creativity or self-respect.

AE, on the other hand, was proud to provide their own designs. While the Type 80 was possibly their closest in external design to a WE product, they had some great functional designs that provided some serious competition with WE. AE never actually gave in to any of WE's designs AFAIK, which I immensely respect.

AE comes in at a close second behind WE as far as favorite manufacturer goes.

Agreed.

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 09, 2018, 10:39:13 AM
Ahh, so Bombardier really is in the news over there quite a bit lately (causing you to pull the name out of a hat)

Actually, I forgot about that, but Bombardier is my go-to favourite beer (advertised by the late Rik Mayall before he passed away)... :)

AE_Collector

NEVER heard of that...will add it to my list for next time I'm over your way!

Terry

Pourme

~

Starting with Starlite phones we managed to cover 10 button phones, AE, Kellogg, Strongberg Carlson,WE, Europe, South America, aircraft, steak, cars and BEER....Some of my favorite things!

What a great thread!  ;D

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 09, 2018, 04:50:43 PM
NEVER heard of that...will add it to my list for next time I'm over your way!

Terry

I know in Ontario, The Beer Store and LCBO carry British beers like Bombardier (plus some other Wells beers like Banana Bread Beer and Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale, both absolutely delicious!), don't know about where you are, worth having a look though... :)