"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1443

Started by Pourme, May 14, 2018, 08:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

One of the "holes" in my collection has been a SC 1553. Last week this caught my eye. I wasn't familiar with the 1443 so I went to ATC website and found out, it was the original version and was discontinued when the 1553 was introduced. It has the 23-R three wire handset.

EBAY link.  https://tinyurl.com/y9tu3af3

This particular phone looks to be in it's untouched, original factory form, with a straight line ringer. I began watching it from the day it was listed for a $9.95 opening bid. I didn't bid I just watched it every day. It slipped under the radar, just another black phone, right? In the last seconds I bid with a max of $50.00. There was one bidder tried to get it for about $20.00, I prevailed at $21.38 + shipping.

I will start the clean up mprocess this week and report back. I'm thinking about leaving the ad on the cradle for the first time.

Can someone tell me how to properly remove the number card? I don't know how to start. I don't want to break the plastic center, I'm sure it's brittle.

Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

more pics
Benny

LarryInMichigan

The plastic dial center piece is held in place by the three little tabs.  i think that the only way to remove it is to gently pry it out of the opening. 

It looks like your phone has had part of the lift by the cradle broken out.  That part is typically broken on this model.  The ringer can probably be made to work to some extent by adjusting the position of the large clapper.

Larry

=======================

EDIT:  STROMBERG-CARLSON NUMBER CARD HOLDER Removal Instructions attached in a pdf attachment

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 14, 2018, 08:57:28 AM
The plastic dial center piece is held in place by the three little tabs.  i think that the only way to remove it is to gently pry it out of the opening. 

It looks like your phone has had part of the lift by the cradle broken out.  That part is typically broken on this model.  The ringer can probably be made to work to some extent by adjusting the position of the large clapper.

Larry
Larry

Thanks, Larry.

Just looking at the number card holder, that looks like a breakage waiting to happen. I will approach that later, but I think you are right, just looking it over.

I don't follow your other comment "It looks like your phone has had part of the lift by the cradle broken out." Is something missing? I don't see any broken parts.

Benny
Benny

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Pourme on May 14, 2018, 09:15:40 AM
Thanks, Larry.

Just looking at the number card holder, that looks like a breakage waiting to happen. I will approach that later, but I think you are right, just looking it over.

I don't follow your other comment "It looks like your phone has had part of the lift by the cradle broken out." Is something missing? I don't see any broken parts.

Benny

I was apparently wrong about a piece being broken.  The part by the cradle for lifting the phone originally had an opening in it, as shown in the drawing in your screen shot.  The back part of it typically broke.  After looking more closely at the pictures of your phone, it appears to me that the part is one solid piece.  I also have a 1443 with a shell like that.  I wondered if the shell is really correct for a 1443 or if it was intended for a 1543.

Larry

Pourme

Is this what you are talking about, Larry?

The underside shows this piece to be newer, possibly even ABS plastic.

There is no way to grip the phone with one hand.
Benny

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Pourme on May 14, 2018, 09:43:22 AM
Is this what you are talking about, Larry?

The underside shows this piece to be newer, possibly even ABS plastic.

There is no way to grip the phone with one hand.

I was referring to the part of the shell which is on top between the cradles.  You can see how it looked on a 1443 in the pictures in this post: forum link.  The smaller part tended to break.

Larry

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 14, 2018, 10:21:16 AM
I was referring to the part of the shell which is on top between the cradles.  You can see how it looked on a 1443 in the pictures in this post: forum link.  The smaller part tended to break.

Larry

YES!....I see, and it has been broken, for sure. Thanks!

Took me a while to catch on!
Benny

HarrySmith

Nice catch! Good price, looks like it will clean up easlily. You are lucky to have the card cover, most of them are missing and or warped and are impossible to find!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Thanks, Harry. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up!
Benny

kleenax

Quote from: Pourme on May 14, 2018, 08:44:13 AM
~

One of the "holes" in my collection has been a SC 1553. Last week this caught my eye. I wasn't familiar with the 1443 so I went to ATC website and found out, it was the original version and was discontinued when the 1553 was introduced. It has the 23-R three wire handset.

EBAY link.  https://tinyurl.com/y9tu3af3

This particular phone looks to be in it's untouched, original factory form, with a straight line ringer. I began watching it from the day it was listed for a $9.95 opening bid. I didn't bid I just watched it every day. It slipped under the radar, just another black phone, right? In the last seconds I bid with a max of $50.00. There was one bidder tried to get it for about $20.00, I prevailed at $21.38 + shipping.

I will start the clean up mprocess this week and report back. I'm thinking about leaving the ad on the cradle for the first time.

Can someone tell me how to properly remove the number card? I don't know how to start. I don't want to break the plastic center, I'm sure it's brittle.

Benny

Benny; I believe that I have a few 1553 wall phones in-the-box (but as taken out of service) if you are interested in one. PM me...
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Nick in Manitou

My 1443 also has that little carry-strap broken (and completely missing in my case).

I read somewhere that the 1443 didn't last long as a model because of that weakness and that the 1553 (edit...should have typed 1543) replaced it for that reason. Is this story correct?

Nick

kleenax

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 15, 2018, 05:03:26 PM
My 1443 also has that little carry-strap broken (and completely missing in my case).

I read somewhere that the 1443 didn't last long as a model because of that weakness and that the 1553 replaced it for that reason. Is this story correct?

Nick

I'd not heard that; is that the spring-loaded finger-handle thing?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Nick in Manitou

I did some poking around on the 'net to see where I might have read that story about the 1443 having a problem with the carry strap thing and being replaced by the 1543. (It was close to 10 years ago when I read that I think!) (I see that I did state 1553 instead of 1543 in my comment above. Sorry about that!)

Here is a copy of what I found just now at: http://ericofon.com/catalog/classic2/sc1443.htm
"The Stromberg Carlson phone company followed up their 1243 with the 1443. This phone was short lived as it was replaced soon after with the 1543. The difference between the two is that the 1443 had a small bale between the cradle ears for carrying the phone. So small that it had a tendency to break easily. They made it much more sturdy in the 1543 model. Another difference is that the 1443 still used the same handset that was used on the earlier 1243. One other difference is that this phone has a switchable ringer volume control. For some reason, they dropped this feature when they moved on to the 1543..."

I can not attest to its accuracy!

The portion of the case in question is the carry strap visible between the left and right ears of the hook switch in the link that LaryInMichigan posted in reply #6 above: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20474.msg209334#msg209334

Nick

LarryInMichigan

The 1543 has a difference or two in its network from the 1443.  I think that the 1443 has the ringer capacitor internal in the network, but the 1543 does not.  There were probably also differences because of the different transmitters the two models used.

Larry