"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink Kellogg Masterphone with weird separate Stromberg Dial

Started by kleenax, February 13, 2018, 09:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

This is a strange one!

I just got a call from a collector-friend about this phone, and he has contacted the seller asking if this phone is painted. The eBay seller says, NO it's not painted. BUT, I say it IS painted, especially since looking at the close-up photo of the transmitter cap lettering; see how the paint has kind of filled in the lettering?

You be the judge, and no, it's not mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kellogg-Pink-Telephone-Hand-set-w-Rotary-Base-Dialer-Rare-Find-VG-cond/362225534407
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

I would give it a 90%+ likelihood of being painted.  The appearance of the ring around the spitcup certainly looks painted.

Larry

rdelius

It is a painted one from COT. the dial mount was a German one  (Telenorm)

kleenax

Yep, it's painted.

I convinced the seller to remove the baseplate to look inside, and POOF! Black bakelite. Even has a mini-network installed in there! I don't know about the dial housing, but the dial looks to be Stromberg-Carlson.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Simple way for the seller to check but they haven't posted pictures of the inside at all even though they say they have sold LOTS of phones. I've never seen one of these in an original colour, has anyone else?

Even with plastic phones having been repainted the same colour, looking very carefully around modded in names and logos usually quickly reveals that it has been painted. The paint always rounds out sharp corners.

Terry

RB

rdelius

That is a COT set, I might have built it.Warning on painted sets. Before I developed an almost invisible bakelite repair sets that were damaged were repaired with JB weld or similar .These were painted and the best were polished black.That dial mount was a German Telenorn.Bought a quanity at a hamfest.Had to replace the German dial with the SC because of the brass fingerwheel.I think the ebay price is higher than the origional selling price 25 or so years ago.

kleenax

Just so we have a "complete" file on this phone:

Seller wrote to me: "You are right, it is painted. Looks like the original color was gray instead if black. I know there is no such thing as gray bakelite. See photo"
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 13, 2018, 10:31:36 AM
Simple way for the seller to check but they haven't posted pictures of the inside at all even though they say they have sold LOTS of phones. I've never seen one of these in an original colour, has anyone else?
Terry

I've seen a couple of these in Ivory, but never any other color. John Huckeby had a MINT body of one of these in Ivory a couple years ago at a show.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

Robby, did you paint them with a brush?! That splotch of paint inside the phone looks like it was applied by a brush ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

No brush just a spray  gun. A brush might be used for touch-up

Payphone installer

they came in the same colors as the redbars Green,red,ivory almost none survived.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on February 15, 2018, 08:01:20 PM
they came in the same colors as the redbars Green,red,ivory almost none survived.
Were the color sets "redbars" or "clear" bars?
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.