News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1177 with Sawed-Off Plunger

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 12, 2014, 11:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I am trying to build up the top of the plunger, even though it will not be out of sight because, with the way it is now, it barely moves when the handset is placed in the cradle, and there are metal bits in the sides of the plunger which prevent it from rising any higher.  I placed a glob of super glue gel on the top of the plunger.  After it cures, I will add more and eventually sand it to make it look clean.

I originally thought that there might have been something like 1/4" missing from the plunger.  Now I know that it is less than 1/8".

Larry

paul-f

We should compare notes on how we measured the plunger.

I simply lifted the handset and measured.  The plungers were sitting on the top of the contacts.

If I lift the plunger they rise about 1/8" until stopped by the metal tabs.

Before gluing, did you prototype the repair by taping a spacer on the top of the plunger to see if it activates the contacts?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Nick in Manitou

It looks from the photos to be a pretty straight forward part.  Someone with a lathe could turn one out in a few minutes.  Do you know anyone who is a mechanic, or who has a car or an airplane that they take to a mechanic who might be able to create a part for you for a small fee?  It might be cheaper than you would think...especially if you could take them the material to make the part out of.

Nick

LarryInMichigan

I have had an offer from someone who can fabricate a replacement for a small fee.  For now, I am planning to try to build up the top of the plunger.  The phone needs plenty of work anyway.

Larry