Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 17, 2010, 10:24:11 PM
Neat story, Jonathan.  I didn't see in the article where she said for him to keep the radio.  Was the story told elsewhere too?

Dennis, the whole story was told in rec.antiques.radio+phono a few years ago. That's a usenet group I've read since about 1995 and the archives are in Google Groups, but I can't find the original post with their search. It's notoriously inaccurate. Here is one thread from a later date where his pictures of that radio were stolen from his website and used on eBay to try and sell Joan Fontaine's radio, when in actuality the seller only had the pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/39zaphc

I think Phil toned down the page on the radio later and didn't include the entire note from Miss Fontaine, but the sticky fingers thing is mentioned on the newsgroup post. And it is funny that someone stole pictures of a radio that was originally stolen from the owner. As a victim of photo theft from a phone picture I posted on this forum where someone tried to sell a "grab bag" phone using my picture, I feel sorry for the guy. I notice Paul watermarks many of his pictures. That's a great, but time-consuming idea.

Bingster, I hadn't heard about the Lana Turner radio. That was interesting and kind of sad.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Jonathan.  I read the entire exchange from the link you provided.

I think eventually that type of thing happens to many eBay sellers.  I know when I was selling a phone or two on eBay someone once cut and pasted my entire (lengthy) description of a phone I was selling.  On another occasion I saw a phone that I had listed for sale too.  In both cases I contacted eBay and the auctions were canceled.  However it took two tries on the plagiarized listing to get them to agree that it was a copy of my listing.  But eventually the auctions were canceled. 

bingster

Quote from: jsowers on September 18, 2010, 12:14:51 PM
Bingster, I hadn't heard about the Lana Turner radio. That was interesting and kind of sad.

Yeah, she's had an ebay account for a while now, and has been selling off a boatload of Lana Turner's things, mainly jewelry:

http://stores.ebay.com/Lana-Turner-Estate-Property ( dead link 03-27-21 )
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

well i hope that stuff keeps us away from our phones 4  a while.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Bill

Harry -

A word of caution. The tubes in a Transoceanic radio are basic plain-vanilla types, inexpensive and readily available - with one exception. One of the tubes is type 1L6, which is worth $75, more or less. If you put your radio on public display somewhere, be very careful. The back of the radio is easy to pop open, and these tubes tend to disappear. Yes, theft of the tube is common.

Actually, if your radio is going to be unattended in a public place, you would do well to remove the tube, and either leave the socket empty or put in something like a 1R5, which will work on some bands, but probably not the short wave bands.

I saw a ratty old G-500 in an antique shop last week. The tag said "It works", and the price wasn't too bad considering the condition. But when I popped open the back, there was the empty socket.

Bill