News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm halfway there with this one!

Started by Jester, November 28, 2009, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Larry, I found that it didn't clean metal as well as the original formula.  The original stuff was very thin in consistency.  I could pour some into a glass jar and toss in some metal parts and then later on dry the parts and wipe them clean.  The new stuff is a thick foamy liquid, kind of gritty too.  Everything about it is different.  It smells different and doesn't clean as good (in my opinion).  They must have taken something out of it that made the difference.  Probably an environmental issue.  I think Brasso had been around for a long time.

LarryInMichigan

One of the main ingredients in Brasso is ammonia, hence the smell.  I bought a bottle a few months ago at ACO, and the last time before that was at least 20 years ago when it came in a cylindrical metal bottle.  I guess I can try to remember to buy a bottle the next time that I am in Canada and then try to decide whether or not to declare it to Customs on the way home.  I once got a severe reprimand for trying to import a bunch of bananas from a supermarket in Windsor.  I can only imagine what an obnoxious customs agent might do about a contraband bottle of Brasso.  BTW, In my experience, the young customs agents are the worst. 

Larry

bingster

Brasso in the metal can was made in Canada, and made a great polish for not just metals, but also for plastic and painted surfaces. Scrubbed in with steel wool, it was even brilliant at restoring worn finishes on wood furniture.  There was little it wouldn't do.

New Brasso in the plastic can is made in the US now (to conform with California's environmental laws) and is only a mediocre metal polish, a bad plastic polish, and will instantly destroy painted surfaces. 
= DARRIN =

Jester

After finishing work on the green 554, I decided to finish up this old project.  For those who haven't read this thread before, I'll recap by saying the subject of my first posting was the closest example of light beige I had found in a soft plastic 500.  It was a refurb. though, so most of the dates on the parts didn't match, the entire handset was a replacement in ABS plastics, and the cords were the new, thinner type.  Worst of all, the soft cover had been painted over in polane.  As I posted above, I attempted to remove the epoxy based paint & polish the newly exposed surface on the cover, which I felt went successfully.  As I still wanted a "complete" soft plastic phone, I continued the hunt for a soft handset for this one, or maybe a complete beige phone to replace this with.  Things finally came together this past week when I won a light beige dated 10/57 with almost all parts(missing ringer) & a broken cover.  After getting it here, I found a replacement for the ringer(9/57, same date as the 7C-60 dial), and replaced the broken cover with the cover I cleaned in the first post.  The handset & cords were then cleaned & the dial lubed, & all parts reassembled.  I don't know if the pics. show it well, but the plastics are a nearly perfect color match.
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on December 01, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
Brasso in the metal can was made in Canada, and made a great polish for not just metals, but also for plastic and painted surfaces. Scrubbed in with steel wool, it was even brilliant at restoring worn finishes on wood furniture.  There was little it wouldn't do.

New Brasso in the plastic can is made in the US now (to conform with California's environmental laws) and is only a mediocre metal polish, a bad plastic polish, and will instantly destroy painted surfaces.  

Wow, maybe I should put my can on eBay!  I think I've had this thing kicking around since the 90s.  It's still 2/3 full.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Stephen, the phone looks very good.  What color is the coiled cord?  It almost looks light gray in the photo.  Nice job!

Jester

Dennis,
It's original light beige, although quite faded.  This seems typical of these early light-colored cords.

Here are a couple shots of the cracked cover.  Notice where the breaks are--kind of unusual.  I plan to try cleaning & repairing the break at some point, but the cover I removed the paint from looks WAY better than this one right now.

Briny,
You might do well to put that can on ebay--or make a lamp out of it!
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Stephen, it looks like maybe someone set something heavy on top of the handset while in the cradle...or slammed it down awfully hard.

Recently I saw a seller had several cans of the old formula Brasso listed on eBay for about $25. 

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Jester

I was thinking something hit that left rear cradle ear from inside the lift area.  If a phone gets dropped, a hit on one of these is usually on top or on the outside, but who knows?  It's amazing there aren't any popped corners.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

Stephen;
Did you win that phone about 8-10 days ago. I think I bid on that one also. It's the kind of phones I like, most don't want the crack, But to me it's an easy fix, and undetectable..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

D/P,
That's the one.  I'm the same way about cracks, but I knew I had an "ace in the hole" with this other cover.  Since you brought up the auction, I'd like to mention the seller was really straight forward about condition & posted clear pics. of the damage.  Another reason I had no trouble bidding on it.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

I'm trying to figure out how that crack happened. If from the top, it must have been an extreme force, or very heavy weight, I wonder if somehow it happened from the inside ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

Stephen

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on May 16, 2010, 10:52:20 PM
Dennis,
It's original light beige, although quite faded.  This seems typical of these early light-colored cords.

That's been my experience too. Early light beige cords faded lighter, like pink ones. You can see in the picture of the inside of the handset that the part that remained in the dark is unfaded. Stephen, that phone's a beautiful example of light beige and you really lucked up finding that donor phone and with the plastics matching.

I have to wonder if someone stepped on the cracked phone while the handset was on the hook, or something really heavy fell on it and made that crack. You don't often see that particular place cracked. It's very strong.
Jonathan