News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal 302s.

Started by captroosh, March 05, 2019, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

She finally sent me the photos on Saturday. It appears they do have cords and one has the center dial ring. Any other thoughts?
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

FABphones

If all the info and photos you have is what you have listed on this thread, my thoughts are she is still not giving you much to go on. No additional photos showing marking on handsets, underneath, inside, plus info re condition etc etc? And, importantly, how much is she asking for each of them?

If it were me I would work out the total price inc my time and fuel etc going to see them, and check out other options for comparison eg, Craigslist, eBay.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

It is hard to tell with the small poor photos but it does look like the one with the dial card is metal. I am guessing at that because of what looks like chips on tops of the ears. This is what usually happens to the metal ones from hitting them with the handset. I am not positive but about 90% sure.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

captroosh

Thanks everyone. i just messaged her again and asked for more pictures of the undersides and handsets as well and if she is indeed claiming that the entire Phone bodies are metal. She just replied that both bodies and handsets are metal, and she would send more photos tomorrow. Of course last time she said that I got them on Saturday as you see. Naturally I'd like to think that she is not playing me. She has decent ratings by her customers. Hopefully the pictures will bear out more info.
Capt. Roosh.

FABphones

Quote from: captroosh on March 11, 2019, 03:31:58 PM
...She just replied that both bodies and handsets are metal...

She said the handsets are metal? I think you need to take everything this seller says with a pinch of salt and judge for yourself from the photos, which is why I feel it is important you get them. Is she giving you a price for these or is that all a bit vague too?

Good luck with this. I hope it all works out for you.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RotarDad

I believe both bodies are plastic.  I think those light areas on the cradle are just reflections, not metal showing.  The seller is probably saying "metal" because the phones and handsets are heavy....

The dial card on the second one looks cool, although I can't see it well enough to judge condition.
Paul

captroosh

She had one posted fo $40. I am assuming both would be 80. I didn't want to talk money yet. I saw this pic on old phone shop for a phone listed as a 1937.
Capt. Roosh.

RotarDad

That is an "E" handset.  Nearly all 302s were factory built with the later "F" handset.   There were a few early ones (late '36 and early '37) that may have had an "E", but most of the "E" handsets are found on 102 and 202 desk phones from the 20s and 30s that used a separate subset.   Keep in mind that 302s were metal from inception in late '36 until WWII required vast supplies of metal.  Metal 302s are not rare and should not be super expensive, until you find a very early one with matching dated parts in nice nice condition.

The ones this seller has (likely plastic) are very, very common and could easily be found on Ebay.   If I remember correctly, 302 production was 50 million sets total....  Nothing wrong with a road trip mission, but I would try to get the price down.  The seller may soften up over time also, if you are patient....   :)
Paul

Key2871

I zoomed in the pictures, and I think they also look plastic, and not metal. If your going to try for both you should get a better deal than just full price for both.
But if you want metal, and not plastic, I would keep looking.
KEN

HowardPgh

I would try to get both for one money(both for $40 or less), just to get the dial with the numbers only plate.
Howard

captroosh

Quote from: HowardPgh on March 13, 2019, 02:38:38 PM
I would try to get both for one money(both for $40 or less), just to get the dial with the numbers only plate.
Still waiting to hear back with further pictures. I was thinking about that. She originally had them listed for $50 each and dropped it to $40. Been almost 2 weeks since I inquired, and she still has them, that may make her a more motivated Seller. We shall see and I will keep posted.
Capt. Roosh.