News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Old Rose Color

Started by Doug Rose, March 23, 2019, 11:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have two WE Old Rose 302s. I have had the dial one for years and always thought it was the correct color. Last year I found a manual Old Rose set. It is definitely different. More purple pink and an iridescent look to it. Any opinions?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

And they are not painted, right?

I wonder if it's a change in the color mix, when they mixed the plastics, maybe it was intentional. Those are the only explanations I can think of.

But they look great.
KEN

Doug Rose

Not painted...WE thermoplastic...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I guess it could be a change in the coloring mix but that is not probable. Are they the same dates? Is the insides the same color? I would vote for discoloration, maybe one was exposed to more sun or some other environmental effects.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....here is a pic of the inside when I got it. It looks like my dial set. The outside is uniformly colored with no areas with what would be the matching inside color. Bizarre!

I really like the color...just a really unlikely fade! It is so shiny....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I can't help but think it was a case of a botched batch(?)

Other wordy response was removed by me, because I had my head somewhere else..
KEN

paul-f

What are the dates on the plastic parts? Were the sets made years apart?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Paul the manual set is 4 28 50 from an earlier pic. Both phone cases are pretty tight so I am not going to try and open them again. The handset is the same color inside and out. Everywhere on the outside is the same color. The dial set is the color I thought these should be. It is interesting and I am very happy with it....Doug
Kidphone

kleenax

I have tried to duplicate that color and translucence, with "mixed" results. Still a work-in-progress.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Great looking phones Doug.

Ray is that the New Outdoor Tree Phone? Pink for spring.  :)

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on March 24, 2019, 11:15:57 AM
Great looking phones Doug.

Ray is that the New Outdoor Tree Phone? Pink for spring.  :)
Yep, that's the old "Tree Phone"; still hanging down there after all of these years!  ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

19and41

If these were paint colors, I would have said the non dial phone had more black in the color mix.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Even though Western Electric had high standards, such standards are still open to interpretations and opinions.  As a result, we have two variations of what the Old Rose color.

Doug Rose

Thanks gents....I appreciate the input. Ray hit it right on the head....translucence. I was fortunate....right place, right time...great price...Doug
Kidphone

compubit

I have 2 ivory 1500 sets that don't match color-wise.  The first (and earlier) seems to be a little light in the yellow, whereas the later one matches WE ivory perfectly.  Not sure what was happening  (And no, it's not a faded white or painted)...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!