News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 Set will Not break Dial Tone

Started by Doug Rose, May 30, 2014, 09:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I decided to refurb this beauty, it came out great. Only trouble is I cannot break DT. Is it wired correctly, everything else is fine....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

First thing I would try to find out is: Is it the wiring, or the dial itself?  Try removing either the blue or green dial lead.  That should cause the phone to lose dial tone permanently.  If it does, the wiring is correct.

If removing a blue or green dial lead does NOT cut off the dial tone, it's either the wiring, or the network could be defective.  The wiring does look correct from here, but that's *so* difficult to troubleshoot from a picture...

So, if it's the dial, is it pulsing and still not breaking dial tone?  If it is pulsing, then the speed is grossly off.  If it is not pulsing, it's a physical thing causing that set of contacts not to open and close properly.  They could be bent?  Or, the part on the dial that intersects the contacts broken or misaligned?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

Adam...I removed the blue and then the green, both times I lost DT. I swapped them as well as swapping the yellow wires. No luck....Bummer   :'( ...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 30, 2014, 10:22:04 AM
Adam...I removed the blue and then the green, both times I lost DT. I swapped them as well as swapping the yellow wires. No luck....Bummer   :'( ...Doug
That means that the problem is in the dial.  Swapping the blue and green wires will make no difference, and the white wires are only for shunting the receiver.  Check the dial cam.  That is usually the culprit on these dials.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry....the set is all dated 5/5/53 ...Doug
Kidphone

Adam

What Larry said.  :-)

Can you hear the dial pulse when you dial?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

thanks guys...just what it was....I appreciate your help....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone