News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 (1939) No DIAL tone. However rings normally

Started by acolabrese, January 26, 2014, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

I know it looks like a lot of work, but disconnect everything and start over being careful to match the colors of the wires as per the diagram in the photos.
Cheers........Bill

acolabrese

I'm on it! If only the wires looked as colorful as they did back in '39. This is my 8th refurbish and I've never this issue.

Dial dated 4/37, what type do you think it is? 4H 2H etc..

tallguy58

Looks like your yellow and yellow-brown on the hookswitch are mixed up.??
Cheers........Bill

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

poplar1

2H has an external fingerstop so won't fit (without some creativity) in a 302. Also, the 2s are all painted black, not parkerized like this one. A 4H has loud clicks and a 5H is much quieter. Usually the dial type is stamped next to the governor. Both 4s and 5s were made in 1937 and both had the same terminal arrangement.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

I thought W on the 4H was next to the governor and 5H had W next to the other terminals. ???
Cheers........Bill

acolabrese

I switched the yellow brown as part of the hundred step trouble shooting process I have been going through. I'm starting from scratch and rewiring it fresh. If It doesn't work, I have a few other 302's I could use for parts. Luckily one of the others is also from '39.

Thanks for the dial feedback.. get it?. feedback.. Yeah, my wife didn't think that was funny either.

poplar1

Quote from: tallguy58 on January 26, 2014, 03:16:53 PM
I thought W on the 4H was next to the governor and 5H had W next to the other terminals. ???

Later 5H dials had the W moved next to the Y terminal. What I was attempting to say was that in 1937, 5H dials still had the same terminal arrangement as the 4H.

I think you are right that this one is a 4H because you can see the metal part of the pulse pawl. 5H used an all phenol pawl that year and in early 1938.

poplar1

I am totally confused by the diagrams Denis furnished. The one labeled "302/4 wires" is actually the bottom half of a modified 304. The other one is the top half of a 302. These 2 halves don't go together--- for either a 302 or a 304. Please disregard the one showing the bottom half with 101B induction coil and B2A ringer, which are not found in a 302.

poplar1