News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

number cover

Started by johnfin, February 19, 2009, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnfin

Does anyone sell the number covers (clear plastic)for vintage rotary phones?

HobieSport

Hi Johnfin and welcome,

Sometimes we buy and sell parts from each other here in our classified section, but generally, Old Phone Works is the best commercial outfit for parts:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/

Hope this helps,
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Welcome Johnfin to the forum.  We need more information about what you're looking for.  Do you mean the small celluloid disc that goes inside the dial card retainer??  I'm not sure what you mean by "number covers".  There are lots of vintage rotary phones out there.  A photo is worth 1,000 words........

Once we know the what you need exactly, I'm sure someone can help.

johnfin

Yes, the celluloid cover. I have a 1243 Stromberg Carlson.

Dennis Markham

I'm not sure which one Stromberg's take....here's the link to a couple listed at Oldphoneworks:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=dial+card+celluloid

If it's the one that fits in a W.E. send me your address in a PM and I'll mail you one.  I have some of those. 

BDM

Dennis, the SCs appear to use the same large cover used by AE phones. I can confirm this when I return home.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

This may not help for windows from other companies (because they're often so complicated), but Western Electric windows can easily be had for free.  You know the plastic packaging that has the industrial heat welded seams around the edges that take a chain saw to open?  That plastic is perfect for windows.  Just cut out a flat section, trace an old card, and cut as many new ones as you can get out of that section.  You can use any flat, clear plastic for this.  Just look around the house, and think creatively--you'll have more windows than you can use.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Perry

I couldn't find a number card cover for my North Electric phone, so I cut one out of a clear plastic name tag cover (the hard plastic ones they give out at conferences, etc.). It's not really "celluloid" of course, but the material was very similar to the covers you can buy. (Does anyone actually use real celluloid anyway?)

mienaichizu

BDM

Geeeez, it's so simple, no one thought of it. Thanks Bing. BTW, check your mail.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

johnfin

Thanks for all the welcomes. Great forum and oldphoneworks had the number window.