"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 2500 dial issue

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, October 03, 2016, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

Anyone able to help with this issue?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

podor

It could be a polarity issue. Try reversing t and r and see what happens.

unbeldi

Well, go back to basics and review everything that's been done to the phone. Anything else would just be guessing here from others at this point.

It would have been good to continue the old thread here so other can look back easily to see what was done to get it working once.

What kind of phone line is this connected to ?

unbeldi

So, you have a WECo #35 dial in this now?
The original ITT OPG dial I think had a built-in polarity guard, while the #35 didn't.
So Podor's suggestion should be investigated.  The first button press may short the line as is if a pulse dial were connected, and kill dial tone.

Do you have a multimeter to measure line levels while dialing?

[PS: while trying to post, the topic disappeared, but a good admin glued the topics back together, thanks!]

TelePlay

With the good advice from unbeldi, the posts from reply #29 (with display option set to Newest Topic Last - NTL) forward were merged with the prior 2500 dial topic for continuity and convenience.

NOTE: Those using the display option set to Newest Topic First - NTF will see that reply as #30.

Holtzer-Cabot

I tried it today and it is working again! Lets hope it stays this way! I don't know what was causing it not to work, I guess it could of been a problem in the line?
Also, kind of off-topic to this issue, but I went to a garage sale yesterday and the guy worked for Bell as an installer! He had a lot of Western Electric 2500s, some used and some were new old stock ITT ones. I picked up about 8 phones. I got 2 W.E. 2500s, one from 1968 with the original cord and 4 pin plug, and one from 1971! I got 2 W.E. 2554 wall phones, and one 2555B. I also got a Touch-Tone Princess phone!  Then I went back and got two more NOS ITT 2500s, along with some Ma Bell shirts and a power supply and buttons/buzzers. I also got some external ringers and a spare ringer for my Princess.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

TelePlay

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on October 09, 2016, 11:54:42 AM
I tried it today and it is working again! Lets hope it stays this way! I don't know what was causing it not to work, I guess it could of been a problem in the line?

That almost sounds like an intermittent short or open circuit. Check all connections in the phone for loose connections or possible spade lugs very close to another spade lug that could be affected by movement or temperature changes. Could also be a bad wire but if that's the case, that would be difficult to find being an intermittent problem.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on October 09, 2016, 11:54:42 AM
I went to a garage sale yesterday and the guy worked for Bell as an installer!

You should go back and leave a phone number. Ask him if his buddys saved phones as well.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Jim S. on October 10, 2016, 05:11:09 PM
You should go back and leave a phone number. Ask him if his buddys saved phones as well.

JMO,
Jim S.
I did leave my number. He said he would be working on printing out some schematics and stuff for my phones. He said he would also try to find one of his Princess transformers fro me to have, since the Princess I bought from him needs one.