News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

HobieSport

-Matt

HobieSport

Here's a rather amusing list of Ebay euphemisms, courtesy of "Pappy" at his very fine Telechrontime website. Just substitute the term "clock" with "telephone" and, well, you'll get the gist:

http://www.telechrontime.net/features/glossary.htm

Good stuff here. :D
-Matt

bingster

It's kind of like the thousands of old radio auctions which state "Radio doesn't work, but it probably just needs a new tube."  For the uninitiated, tubes are the last things to suspect when an old radio doesn't work.
= DARRIN =

foots

Another one that's really getting on my nerves is "mid century".  It seems that the middle of the last century was about a hundred year period.  I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned yet, so if it hadn't, it has been now. These wrongly used descriptive terms are just as bad if not worse than the names people make up for phones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

To some, any phone = Western Electric, and any black phone is bakelite (or some variation of spelling thereon)

-Bill G

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
Another one that's really getting on my nerves is "mid century".

I stand guilty! :D I really do use the term mid century when describing my niche in this hobby. For lack of a better brief description I simply say "I collect mid century telephones".  If they ask for more info I say "late 30s to early 60s."

BTW, naturally I think of the WE 500 as the classic of mid century phones, even though the design lasted so much longer.
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 13, 2009, 10:45:58 PM
Here's a rather amusing list of Ebay euphemisms, courtesy of "Pappy" at his very fine Telechrontime website. Just substitute the term "clock" with "telephone" and, well, you'll get the gist:

http://www.telechrontime.net/features/glossary.htm

Good stuff here. :D

Those are priceless!
English Translation:  Ain't that the truth!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

FABphones

I'm going to revive this most used annoying phrases thread by adding 'upcycled'.   ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble