News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC Dial Stick

Started by Doug Rose, December 26, 2019, 01:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this on eBay in hopes of cleaning it up as I do not have an SC dial stick. I find them very hard to come by with a dial.

This guy cleaned up better than expected with Brasso and fine steel wool.

I just need a real SC MP....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Nice find,
I agree, non-dial SC sticks  outnumber the dial ones noticeably.
I prefer the non dial look, but I prefer collecting harder-to-find-phones.
Do you have any idea  what the  side button is for? 
Does it seem to be a factory install, or an obvious  modification?

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Jim...it looks factory, my guess would be ground but it's only a guess. David or Robby will know. I was amazed at how nice it turned out. Paint looks great and the nickel shined up well...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

I like those SC phones too.

Hard to say what the button is but likely to have been added by an intercom/pax supplier.

I think the receiver (No 3) is earlier than the phone. Wall phones and pot bellies still used that one in 1905 but the more modern candlestick (the model before yours) used the later receiver (No 6). I think that style of candlestick (without a dial) came out after 1905 and it was probably 1920 by the time the dial version appeared - long after the demise of the No 3 receiver

Good find.

Jack

Doug Rose

Thanks Jack....I have a no 6 that I am stripping. I have had this working no 3 for awhile with nowhere for it  to go. Nickel matches well.  Sometimes we have to take liberties.....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Nice find & nice cleanup Doug. I have a W.E., 2 A.E.s & 2 Kelloggs but no S.C.s yet. I would like to have a larger stick collection some day.
Gary

Doug Rose

Gary....I have been looking forever to find a SC dial stick. I just got lucky to find a BIN...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 26, 2019, 09:20:32 PM
Thanks Jack....I have a no 6 that I am stripping. I have had this working no 3 for awhile with nowhere for it  to go. Nickel matches well.  Sometimes we have to take liberties.....Doug
The stripping was a disaster as I guess it was not Bakelite. This was an old handset with a marked cap with the receiver that screwed into the top of the receiver case. 

Basically the cap and the receiver just disintergrated as I steel wooled of the Citrix stripper. A first for me...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 27, 2019, 09:31:43 PM
The stripping was a disaster as I guess it was not Bakelite.

Perhaps too old for Bakelite - it might be hard rubber or possibly composite. Kellogg was one of the first manufacturers to use Bakelite introducing it in about 1910.

Basically the cap and the receiver just disintergrated as I steel wooled of the Citrix stripper.

Is that a machine or a chemical? Light buffing is probably all that was required.

Is it recoverable?

Jack

Doug Rose

Jack...it is a lost cause. Whatever it was made of it came off as I wiped the Citrix stripper from the parts. All the raised letters on the cap are now gone and  there are areas that are almost gone.  Almost like it was melting. This was NOT a repro. It was not plastic as I found out the hard way with a Connecticut handset years ago....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2019, 08:20:46 AM
Jack...it is a lost cause. Whatever it was made of it came off as I wiped the Citrix stripper from the parts. All the raised letters on the cap are now gone and  there are areas that are almost gone.  Almost like it was melting. This was NOT a repro. It was not plastic as I found out the hard way with a Connecticut handset years ago....thanks....Doug

I just spotted a SC receiver on eBay but it was $165.00! I think that is a little high priced!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....that is the Receiver I have on my stick now....thanks....Doug

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2019, 09:21:01 AM
Harry....that is the Receiver I have on my stick now....thanks....Doug
OK, I thought that was what you destoyed? Did I miss something? Sorry.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Jack said it was too old for my stick, it's a no 3 receiver, I had a no 6 that I was stripping that he thought was a better era match. That is the one that got destroyed...thanks Harry, I do appreciate the help....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 27, 2019, 09:31:43 PM
The stripping was a disaster as I guess it was not Bakelite. This was an old handset with a marked cap with the receiver that screwed into the top of the receiver case. 

Basically the cap and the receiver just disintergrated as I steel wooled of the Citrix stripper. A first for me...Doug

That is a real shame.  :(

Could you add any photos you have - before and after pics - to help us all learn from this, and to see what it was you had in your hand?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble