News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 100 Manual Redbar

Started by Doug Rose, November 17, 2013, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have always wanted a manual redbar, but never found one that wasn't damaged. I saw this auction on eBay for a really bad red bar with an extra WE 5h dial and a F1. I got it cheap and found a littel time today to give it a go.  needed the Kellogg dial for another project and went to work. It was filthy and it came from a barn. Fine steel wool, brasso skin so soft and the final Howard's wax and this guy looks "almost new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171163639839

I am looking for a Kellogg dial blank as I can't find mine. The WE did good in a pinch. The lines on this phone remind of a car from the 50s. Love bakelite!...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Well, what an amazing transformation!! What type of buffer do you use, or just your hands?

Ben

dsk

:D Looks like new!

How did you get it so fine? (You do obviously have a great reserve of elbow grease  :D  )

dsk

HarrySmith

WOW :o
That came out great! I love taking phones that look like that and bringing them back.
Great job ;D You should send the eBay seller a picture of the phone now, he won't believe it is the same one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Hey Ben...no buffer for me, it is a manual process. Wash  first, then fine steel wool with brasso that loosens the layers of filth. Skin so soft  and finally a coat of Howard's wax, a little goes a long way.

DSK/Harry....thanks I aprreciate the feedback..Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 17, 2013, 03:19:04 PM
Hey Ben...no buffer for me, it is a manual process. Wash  first, then fine steel wool with brasso that loosens the layers of filth. Skin so soft  and finally a coat of Howard's wax, a little goes a long way.

DSK/Harry....thanks I aprreciate the feedback..Doug

Well, I must try that. I have some wax, no skin so soft.

Ben

HarrySmith

Is that Howard's Citrus Shield Paste Wax?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Wow!  Beautiful transformation, Doug.

Doug Rose

Howards feed and wax orange liquid. A little goes a long way. I bought it for wood, but the bakelite loves it!
Kidphone

wds

You're right about finding one of these that's not damaged.  I had to buy several of these before I finally got one shipped to me undamaged.  For a while I gave up and grabbed a couple metal ones.  The Kellogg bakelite version seemed much more fragile than AE or some of the others.  Nice phone.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 17, 2013, 04:10:35 PM
You're right about finding one of these that's not damaged.  I had to buy several of these before I finally got one shipped to me undamaged.  For a while I gave up and grabbed a couple metal ones.  The Kellogg bakelite version seemed much more fragile than AE or some of the others.  Nice phone.

I don't think the metal housings are particularly plentiful either.  Does anyone know just when the metal housings were made?

Dennis Markham

After reading your post Doug, I remembered that I refurbished the wall phone version a year or so ago.  I hope you don't mind me posting these photos.  I think these manual Kellogg Red Bars are very stylish looking.  I'd like to pick up the desk version some time.  I have yet to add a metal Red Bar to my collection.

Doug Rose

No Problem Dennis....it is beautiful......great job...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Wow, the wall ones are even cooler!

I have a rotary and non dial Redbar which were given to me (aswell as a wall one?) that both are chipped.. :(

Ben

Doug Rose

Ben....Kellogg, Stromberg Calson, Federal, North Electric and Automatic Electric made some stunning bakelite phones. Northern Electric with there #1 and #2 sets are also top notch.

Whenever using steel wool on an unknown set, check using it inside the phone first. I have made the awful mistake in the past.

Bakelite has a warmth that no other material has....Doug
Kidphone