News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

why did they do that?

Started by Doug Rose, January 01, 2016, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I came across a painted metal 302 and I thought I would strip it and get it painted. Well, it turned out to be a 304 and all dates match from 1941! No corrosion to the shell and I got lucky and got it to ring right way, I always have trouble with 304s. This is just horrible paint job, paint on the dial plate and the feet. This will be a beauty when refurbed ....I just don't think I have it in me. Way to many connections to get them wired correctly.

Still really a nice phone that is approaching its 75th Birthday

What was a 304 used for? I know I should know this....Doug
Kidphone

G-Man

They have a 101B induction coil for tip-party identification:
2.10   The 304-type telephone set, the external appearance of which is the same as the 302-type shown in Figs. 1 and 2, is used in dial common battery central office areas on the tip-party stations of message rate, automatic ticketing and A.M.A.  However, in addition to the dial sets, a manual set, coded 304A, and equipped with an apparatus blank is provided for use at tip-party stations where cut-over to dial message rate service is contemplated. The dial sets are coded 304B, 304C and 304D and all sets are equipped with a three-conductor mounting cord.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug,

I, by coincidence, am also working on a 304C that is/was wired for TIP Party Message Rate. The wiring diagram from the  TCI Library shows all of the 5 ways the phone could be wired. If you got yours to ring right away, it was probably wired for individual or bridged use.

Here's the link to the TCI Library File  ( dead link 11/28/17 )