News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Seller bandb816 (546 )'s North Fat Shaft Candlestick on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, April 14, 2016, 06:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone know this seller bandb816 (546 )? He/She has been selling some really fine telephones.  Either selling off their collection or found a goldmine. Really nice stuff in the past months...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201557448600?
Kidphone

TelePlay

Don't know, Doug, but he/she seems to have mostly very nice sticks and is from Oley, Pennsylvania.

Currently active listings.

wds

That North Fat Shaft is especially impressive.  Notice the tiny screw head on the top of the shaft.  Most of these have an oversized screw in those holes - this seems original with the small screw head and the pin head on the other side.  Wrong gasket on the bottom but otherwise very nice.   
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....It didn't meet reserve at $280. Really nice but does it look like new nickel to you? Just curious....Doug
Kidphone

wds

At first glance it doesn't look replated, and would be difficult to plate since the stem doesn't come off of the base.  But, the base has been repainted, and that cloth gasket is a replacement for the original gasket so it's possible is was plated.  Still, a very nice stick with the correct screws.  Something else I notice is that it appears to have the smaller diameter transmitter.  It seems most of these sticks have been replaced with the larger diameter transmitter and cup. 
Dave

Stubbypylon

Craig Stanowski

Stubbypylon

After double checking - no I don't have the smaller transmitter.
Craig Stanowski

wds

Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on April 15, 2016, 06:11:33 PM
Seller had a $550 reserve on the phone.

Did the seller tell you or do you have a secret way to find the reserve?

Also, the cord restraint also looks like a modern repro . . .    ;)

Stubbypylon

I have been told it is possible to remove the base from the shaft.  Its not easy as I have tried and failed.  When I look at the protruding shaft from the bottom of the base, it appears rough and out of round, leading me to believe it has been removed for plating.
Craig Stanowski

TelePlay

Quote from: Stubbypylon on April 15, 2016, 07:16:29 PM
I have been told it is possible to remove the base from the shaft.  Its not easy as I have tried and failed.  When I look at the protruding shaft from the bottom of the base, it appears rough and out of round, leading me to believe it has been removed for plating.

How was it originally mounted, with a after insertion flair or partial crimping to secure the shaft to the base?

If so, with what you noted, that could be the case due to unbending and re-bending, and that isn't soft metal.

Stubbypylon

Originally the shaft would be completely round with three evenly spaced 3/16" sections flared out.
Craig Stanowski

Stubbypylon

Craig Stanowski

TelePlay

Thanks, and it does look like yours is what would have expected to be a one time, permanent mount.

Yes, the subject stick looks like it was removed. I wonder how tight the remount is, if there is any wiggle in the shaft. Hard to remount anything like that without good tools and proper jigs.

wds

The grommet looks correct and original.  Here's a picture of mine.   Yes, I asked the seller about the reserve price.  The shaft does look like it's been burgered with. 
Dave