News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Started as which is the right magneto, found one, was damaged in shipping, now need help fixing it

Started by xtal_01, March 04, 2019, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Looks like that damage was done during shipping. The box looks like it was dropped on the end. I would contact the seller. Usually you will get your money back & the seller will tell you to keep the damaged item. If that happens all you need is a gear for it. It does appear to be the correct magneto for your phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

xtal_01

Exactly.  I have had some bad experiences with the mail.  Usually I can blame the seller (I had two phones come in last fall with no packing at all ... both had cracked shells).

In this case, he did have phone on the inside of the box (well at least the sides) ... but this thing took a real hit!

I just wrote him ... if he lets me keep it, I can look for a gear. If this one was only bent in one direction, I would straighten it but it is even out of round.

I thought finding a gear would be impossible and I would have a better chance at a magneto.

Is is possible to find just a gear?

Mike

HarrySmith

Quote from: xtal_01 on March 11, 2019, 04:49:37 PM
I thought finding a gear would be impossible and I would have a better chance at a magneto.

Is is possible to find just a gear?

Absolutely. Someone here may even have one for you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

xtal_01

Thanks!

I would have not thought about parts for a magneto, just the entire assembly.

As soon as I hear back from the seller, I will see which direction to go (I asked for a refund and asked if he wanted to ship it back at his cost or scrap it).

The funny thing is, I build control panels for a living.  When I ship anything, I pack it as if it really is going to be run over by a truck.  And I can't say anyone else is any better.  I got a furnace in for my RV last year ... literally crushed.  In that case I blamed the seller and UPS ... not much packaging but it must have taken some real force to crush a steel cabinet.

Thanks again .....

Mike

HarrySmith

If nobody here has a gear for you try the (TCI listserv) list. There are a lot more guys there that are into the wood stuff. As a matter of fact one of them restores & recharges magnetos, he probably has a huge pile of parts. I do not recall whom but I am sure he will chime in if needed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

plymouthrod

Assuming the top drive gear is remove-able like most are, it can be straightened out. I just had a Holtzer Cabot just about as bent and I saved it by straightening it. It may be that the 3 bar top gear is the same gear. If you need to salvage that 5 bar top gear contact me and I can make arrangements to fix yours,

David

xtal_01

Thanks.  I will see what the seller wants me to do.

I did think about straightening it out.

My worry is not so much being bent over but that it is out of round.

If he says keep it, then I will try salvaging it.  Who knows ... he may want it back and just give me a refund.

Thanks ... Mike

xtal_01

OK, the guy said to keep it and gave me a refund.

So, lets start with ... how the heck does the gear come off?

I am guessing the collar that the crank back up to unscrews?

There does not seem to be much to hold onto so unscrew it and I didn't want to force anything so I thought I would check with you guys first.

Any advice on how it comes apart?

Thanks .... Mike

RB

Hi Mike.
Don't know that mag, but have done a few.
remove the 4 screws that hold the plate on the front.
you may need to turn gear to align screws.
once off, the shaft can be accessed from the back side.
with it all apart, you can clean/lube the gen shaft ends.
watch for thrust washers on the shafts.
there is prob a pin to remove, or unscrew a collar, and it shud come apart.
there shud be a spring inside also.
compare it to the mag you have, like stated, it may be the same part.

HarrySmith

It appears the shaft is threaded on the end. To me that would indicate the collar screws off. There may be a set screw in the collar that needs to come out first. I am not a magneto expert, I have never taken one apart. This is based on what I see in the pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

I agree Harry, I looked close at the end and I do see a collar that looks like it will unthread like a screw it seems to have slot on either side of the shaft you can use a small flat blade to loosen it.
KEN

xtal_01

Got it off!

Like a doctor, my first thinking is "do no harm".

There was no set screw on the collar.   I was a bit worried because it had a polished finish and no flats.  I didn't want to grab it with pliers and leave marks.  Also, there was no place to hod the shaft.

I took off the magnets it was then very easy to hold the shaft.

I wrapped the collar with tape and then used pliers to loosen it.

The gear then screwed off the shaft.

So, gear is off .... now I need to think about how to straighten it.

Mike

Key2871

I had a job once of fixing customers piece's, I had to come up with very inventive ways of doing that job. The pieces were made of pewter, some were very thin, others thick. Yet others very brittle. I had to determine what the case was with each piece..
I recommend a hard flat surface and a rubber mallet to peen it flat, as for making it round again? I would try to produce something with the same contour both inside and out. Then gently work it back as best as you can, with out breaking it.
That's cast, so it could be very brittle to try to work it back in shape. Maybe heat would make it more plyable.. But at the same time it's a freebie, so that's one thing in your favor. You might just need to find a replacement.
So measure the diameter first, just in case, maybe even trace it so you can match it up to another one.
KEN

xtal_01

Man I love this group!

Exactly what I was thinking!!!

I have been scrounging around looking for something solid that is the correct outside diameter.

I keep thinking it I could the good side against it then maybe with clamps draw the bent side into the circle.  It should get me close.

Thanks .... Mike

rdelius

Make sure that the magnets are phased the same .if not, it will have weak output.  Always mark them before removal.