News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Started as which is the right magneto, found one, was damaged in shipping, now need help fixing it

Started by xtal_01, March 04, 2019, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Took off the magnets EH? Did you observe their North/South polarity so you can put them back on in the same order? One reversed magnet can severely weaken the output of the magneto.  Also put a piece of iron across the ends of the magnets to keep their magnetism. 
Howard

xtal_01

Hmmmm ..... makes sense.  Could his be why Leich put a line stamped on one side of each of it's magnets?  Funny, since I have only seen Leich do this but it would make assembly much easier and a mistake easy to pick out!

I did get lucky ... on the three bar magneto, the magnets are free.  On the 5 bar, they  are clamped together at the top with a bar.

So mine are still together as I took them off.

I did not think about sticking them down to anything ... I just put them down onto my table saw.

Here is what I have to work with.

Thanks ..... Mike

rdelius

The marks are there to make  sure the magnets are in phase so the magnitic fields will not oppose each other

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

xtal_01

I agree!  I think this one might be junk ... I will pack it in a box and label "needs fix'in".

I do have one on the way.  The old phone company sent me this picture.  They said they will remove the magneto and send it to me.

Looks maybe a bit newer then mine (my phone is dated 1929 ... I think this box is about 10 years later) but the dimensions are correct and it should work great.

I will put up a post when it comes in.

Thanks!

Mike