News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 143W Receiver cord - how to anchor in shell?

Started by MagnetoDave, April 11, 2019, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagnetoDave

I have a Western Electric magneto phone and the original brown receiver cord was so badly frayed that I bought a vintage replacement cord in good condition.

I have the receiver shell open (1913 patent date, Property of American Bell Telephone Co) and now I'm at a loss of how this cord was supposed to be physically anchored to the magnets for strain relief (in case the receiver was dropped, suspended only by the cord).

Anyone have a photo or diagram that shows how to do it? I presume you're supposed to loop the wires around, or tie something.

If someone could open a receiver of similar vintage and snap a good photo showing it all, that would be super.

(photo below is similar to my receiver-- it's inside terminals-- but I can't see the whole thing!)

MagnetoDave

Here is a photo of my receiver, which is stamped 75 Z

As you can see, I have the white and green wires crossed, but this is not physically secure, in case the receiver should be accidentally dropped or yanked.

Ktownphoneco

Dave   ....   There's a diagram in the TCI Library that showings the correct procedure for anchoring the receiver cord inside a receiver.   

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

I initially didn't have time to find it, but here's the "official" Bell System method for anchoring the receiver cord inside a 143 / 144 receiver.    Pardon the quality, it's an old drawing from an old Bell System booklet.   Compliments of the Telephone Collectors International Library.     Click & double click to enlarge.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff....amazing......I just learned something...many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

MagnetoDave

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on April 11, 2019, 06:11:43 PM
I initially didn't have time to find it, but here's the "official" Bell System method for anchoring the receiver cord inside a 143 / 144 receiver.
Thanks. That's what I was searching for... just couldn't find it.

The original receiver cord had a braided tie at one end. But the whole thing was so badly frayed, that it was shedding little bits even as I gently removed it.

My replacement receiver cord doesn't have a braided tie at the end, so I'll see if the white and green leads are long enough to loop around as shown in that diagram. I could have sworn I tried looping them around then discovered they were too short.... but I'll give it another try tomorrow.

MagnetoDave

It turns out that the green and white leads are only just long enough to reach the screw terminals after you tie the square knot, and you better make that knot tight!

Thanks, everyone, for the pointers.