News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial ring parts for 5302

Started by Greg G., October 15, 2009, 03:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I was looking around online for the missing dial center parts for my 5302.  I stumbled across a picture of a blank dial plate for a 202, when I realized I had one with the dial ring that will fit my 5302, even though it may not have been intended for it.  (My 202 came with a blank dial plate, I have since outfitted it with a dial).

My question is on the purpose of the underlying parts.  The celluloid circle I understand, the metal disk I understand hides the nut holding the finger wheel but what is the purpose of the other bracket? (Second from right in the picture).  Seems I can easily leave out that bracket, the metal circle fits securely w/o it, but I'll leave it in just so I don't lose it.  I've ordered a quantity of celluloid circles and dial cards from Old Phone Works.

On a side note, I was reading some info on these phones, very interesting. I'm glad it was part of the lot and in good shape.  After reading Dennis's article on them, it cleared up some things, and I also learned it has a smaller footprint, being basically a 302, so I'm using it on my computer desk which has limited space.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The purpose of that little clip is simply to hold things together.  Often the clips get lost and left out, but I believe technically, the entire number card holder for the dial consists of the complete assembly, whether for the B mount, the D mount, the 302, the 5302 or the early 500's with metal finger wheels.  All interchangeable.

You are absolutely correct in noticing that a 5302 IS, in fact a 302 in every way, except for the plastic cover and the dial bezel.  Earlier 5302's even used the F handset, and the later 5302's used G handsets, just like the 500's.

However, inside, the 5302 is a 302, and in no way resembles a 500.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 15, 2009, 03:54:49 PM
The purpose of that little clip is simply to hold things together.  Often the clips get lost and left out, but I believe technically, the entire number card holder for the dial consists of the complete assembly, whether for the B mount, the D mount, the 302, the 5302 or the early 500's with metal finger wheels.  All interchangeable.

You are absolutely correct in noticing that a 5302 IS, in fact a 302 in every way, except for the plastic cover and the dial bezel.  Earlier 5302's even used the F handset, and the later 5302's used G handsets, just like the 500's.

However, inside, the 5302 is a 302, and in no way resembles a 500.

I'm not tech savvy enough to notice much of anything regarding the inner workings, I only learned of it after reading Dennis's article.  I was one of the many who thought this was a link between the 302 and 500, which is not the case.

This one is clean enough not to try to sand it, at least by my standards.  A good cleaning and buffing out minor scuff marks, also try to recoil the handset cord, it's a little stretched.  I haven't tried that with any of my phones yet (recoiling cords).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e