News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Left handed telephone

Started by benhutcherson, February 19, 2009, 06:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Just ran across this one a minute ago: a genuine, original Western Electric Left Handed telephone

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Rotary-Dial-Phone-Left-Handed-Telephone-Rare-Nice_W0QQitemZ200310795408QQihZ010QQcategoryZ985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
( dead link 07-14-21 )

Funny, it doesn't look any different than any of my others. By that extension, I guess we can assume that they're all left handed. Since I'm right handed myself, I'm surprised that I've never had any trouble using one.

Dennis Markham

That's pretty funny.  I think we all talked about this before...someone said right handed people use the left hand to talk so one can write with the right hand....or dial with the right hand while holding it with the left.

It's strange, like playing the guitar.  Why is it that right handed people play the cords with their left hand.  You'd think they'd be more dexterous with their right.  Or how about catching a baseball...catch left, throw right.  Seems like it would be easy to catch with the right hand but have you ever tried it?  It's difficult for a right-hander.......but I digress.................

McHeath

I sent a question to the seller asking what makes it left handed.  Soon we will all be enlightened.   ;)

BDM

I'm a lefty. Yet I throw with my right, I punch with my right, I shoot with my right, I can even write with my right(terribly, but readable). I prefer to answer and use the phone with my right. So this phone is no good for me. In fact, since most of my phones are left handed (according to this auction), I should probably just offer them up to you guys. They're no good for me!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Quote from: BDM on February 19, 2009, 10:31:34 PM
In fact, since most of my phones are left handed (according to this auction), I should probably just offer them up to you guys. They're no good for me!

To ease the pain of this, I would be more than happy to take care of all of those awful, useless candlestick telephones you have.

Consider a friendly gesture of good will toward a fellow forum member-I try to do what I can to ease suffering in the world.

BDM

Now, believe it or not, there are left & right handed candlesticks. Standard was receiver = left hand. So, with that, I'm sorry, I just can't give them up knowing this ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Ahh, of course it's even possible to orient a 151AL or the like so that the hook is on the right side.

I'd hoped you might overlook this  :)

BDM

Nah, don't believe you can. You have locating pins on both the shaft and transmitter head. At least on W.E. desk stands. Not sure about the independents?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

There was one on ebay recently that was set up with the receiver on the right, but it was clearly the result of somebody taking it apart and not knowing how to put it back together correctly.  If you take the bolt out of the perch, you can turn the transmitter housing over so that it faces the back.  When you do that, the receiver is on the right, but then you look down to see the cords coming out the "front."

When I bought my 51AL ages ago, it had been the victim of this particular mistake.
= DARRIN =

BDM

They made them. I remember reading and seeing a few pics. I remember they were made for those particular about which arm is used for the receiver. I know they're fairly rare. But, I'm still looking for a right handed D or B mount. If any of you guys see or know of one, drop a dime my way, collect of course ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

I'm a lefty and mine works just fine for me.  With the one in my room, I usually hold the receiver in my left, dial with the right, then sit down on the bed, with te reciever to my left ear and the phone sitting on my right knee.  I'd really like to know how the left-handed ones are different.  Really never gave it any thought before.
- Tom

bingster

Quote from: BDM on February 20, 2009, 01:27:26 AMBut, I'm still looking for a right handed D or B mount. If any of you guys see or know of one, drop a dime my way, collect of course ;)

Boy, is today your lucky day!  It just so happens I have one.  It's ultra-rare, so naturally it commands a hefty premium.  Coincidentally, I have an amazingly identical version for the other hand.  It's said that the pair is never seen in the same room at the same time, but pay no attention to that.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, that's a great looking left handed telephone.  I especially like your dial card.

benhutcherson

Quote from: BDM on February 20, 2009, 12:31:28 AM
Nah, don't believe you can. You have locating pins on both the shaft and transmitter head. At least on W.E. desk stands. Not sure about the independents?

Of course, if ones 151AL were, perhaps, assembled from a box of parts, and one didn't have the locating pin, it would be entirely possible to turn the shaft around so that the hook is on the right side.

I'll have to check on the transmitter cup, but I don't think I've ever noticed any locating pins on it. Like I said, though, I'll double check.

BDM

Ben, the transmitter cup doesn't have locating pins. I should have said transmitter support, not head. As the support does have a locating pin.

Darrin, very nice looking D mount. The paint looks original and in nice condition. Love that dial card also. I'll make a deal with you. I'll trade ya for a case of Old Bay potato chips, a six pack of beer (your choice), and an old phone number to a very sexy young lady I used to date. It's the deal of the century, so let me know ;D :o ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI