"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Created This?

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 11, 2013, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

It looks like a 1960s WE base and a much older European handset and cradle.  Is this an OPW creation?

Larry

poplar1

Appears to be an original European phone (Norway?) that was modified by the WE shop with the kit used in decorator phones. The parts were then leased to the customer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

That's a nice handset and cradle.  I would be tempted to buy a beater for the internals and restore that phone.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I didn't know that WE reused old European phones.  Did they replace the transmitter and receiver capsules in the handset as well?

Larry

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on September 11, 2013, 12:55:18 PM
Appears to be an original European phone (Norway?) that was modified by the WE shop with the kit used in decorator phones. The parts were then leased to the customer.

I'm thinking the same, the half label under with some S.E. 29 text etc was used by O.T.A  (Oslo Telephone "Company")
This states it has been a Standard Electric telephone of a model only bought in 1929. In 1930 the anti sidetone circuit with 3 windings became a standard.  You may see some more about mine at this thread.
http://tinyurl.com/qzjekbc

dsk

paul-f

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 11, 2013, 01:31:40 PM

I didn't know that WE reused old European phones.  Did they replace the transmitter and receiver capsules in the handset as well?

WE would modify just about any phone the customer provided and substitute their components, including transmitters and receivers.  

I have a Suttle Tablephone and Teleconcepts Petite that were modified.  The Petite probably started out with AE components, as it has an AE handset with WE elements.  It now has a WE dial.  The Suttle Tablephone has a NE F1 handset.

I also have a North H-series deskset that was "inspected" by WE.  It still has a few non-WE components, including the handset elements.  Apparently WE decided they were good enough, or someone replaced them after inspection.

WE usually marked the bottom of the set in ink to show that it was "officially" modified.

Here's a later example of a paper sticker on a Teleconcepts Periscope phone.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line