News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 90

Started by LM Ericsson, June 14, 2011, 05:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I went to the TCI Lancaster telephone show this weekend and picked up this jewel for only $10.00. Its a Automatic Electric 90. Its from 1959 being an early set. It calls out just fine but does not ring. Could someone help me rewire this to ring again? Please help!!! Thanks
Regards,
-Grayson

paul-f

Check out the wiring diagrams in the TCI Library.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?searchword=ae90&ordering=&searchphrase=all&Itemid=1&option=com_search

You didn't show us a photo of the ringer.  Make sure it's a straight line ringer.  If not, you may need to replace it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LM Ericsson

It is not a straight line, but I do have a spare straight line laying around, but it is a much newer model. It might work im guessing.
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

Yes it will work and should fit in properly as well. A newer ringer will have a seperate capacitor where as the old ringer will have the capacitor mounted on the ringer frame.

Terry

LM Ericsson

Since the straightline ringer has a separate capacitor, will it need one since my AE 90 is an early model??
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

Quote from: LM Ericsson on June 14, 2011, 08:00:11 PM
Since the straightline ringer has a separate capacitor, will it need one since my AE 90 is an early model??

I'm not sure that I understand your question. You will need a capacitor with your ringer. Once you remove the old frequency ringer the capacitor will be gone as well since it is attached to the ringer frame. Put in the new style SL ringer which should have had a seperate capacitor with it with spade lugs crimped onto the leads.

Terry

LM Ericsson

So here is the straight line ringer I just installed.
Regards,
-Grayson

paul-f

Here's a photo of a similar SL ringer installed in an AE80, showing where the original capacitor was installed.

The label specifies a .4 mfd capacitor.  It is simply wired in series with the ringer coil, so is easy to add.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LM Ericsson

The separate capacitor I am planning to install is a .08MF.
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

I know nothing about electronics but do know that different frequencies of ringers call for different values of capacitors. The SL ringer should have a .4 mf capacitor wit hit but I don't know what effects a .08 mf would have. What is the value of the capacitor attached to the frame of your frequency ringer?

Terry

MDK

A smaller capacitor in theory would have a higher reactance, and could possibly not pass enough current to operate the ringer using standard ring frequency.

LM Ericsson

I currently do not own a .4 MF capacitor.
Regards,
-Grayson

MDK

I have 2 1.0uF capacitors in series (for an equivalent of 0.5uF) on an AE ringer and it works fine.