News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

When is 35 greater than 50?

Started by Gary Z, October 07, 2018, 03:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

I came across an internet on line auction and saw a group of phones. One of the 3 was what I thought was a green AE 50. There was only 1 front view picture of them. I received them yesterday and was VERY surprised that the model 50 was actually a model 35. It had a black western f1 handset on it. I am in the process of cleaning it up, so pictures will follow hopefully.
I would like to know more about these AE 35's in color. I don't recall seeing one, but I'm sure someone has at least one of these. What colors did they come in and any long shot chance someone has an extra green 38 handset?  Lol.. wishful thinking.
Thanks,
Gary Z

dsk

Jim Stettler

That is a find of the month contender for sure.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Gary Z

There did end up being some shrinkage and now the front and back don't quite line up correctly. But there are NO chips or cracks and it still displays well. I'm sure the handset won't be an easy find either.

paul-f

Quote from: Roody on October 07, 2018, 03:50:21 PM
... What colors did they come in ...

AE Color list:  http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#AE

You can find some catalog references in the TCI Library.

That is one great addition to your collection!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Partyline4

$500 + for sure you have there good buddy...Even with the missing handset. Colored 50's bring the money all day, ever day

There was a fella on here that restored one he found that was in awful condition, and I think it sold for a pile of cash.

Partyline4

Quote from: Jim S. on October 08, 2018, 07:52:52 AM
That is a find of the month contender for sure.
Jim S.

Winner is more accurate!
rarer than snake hips

Gary Z

So does anyone have one of these colored AE 35's? Do we know what other colors the 35's came in? I would think that the AE 40's era came in more options. Has there been success correcting at least some of the shrinkage? Would anyone have a model 38 spitcup handset in Jade green in ANY condition they would be willing to part with?
Thanks,
Gary Z

Doug Rose

Gary....great find. I am confident that Ray would be able to make you a handset that would be close enough. Rob the Jeweler has an amazing collection of color 35s and 50s.  Just amazing....it is a beauty.....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

That's a beautiful phone Gary. I hope you can get a handset.
Gary

Partyline4

The more important question to ask, is if there is somebody out there with a jade green handset looking for a body!

Gary Z

Aha! That could work too. It's all how you look at it. Perspective is an amazing thing.

AE_Collector

Hey Roody, this should be added to the Find of the Month contest but need to get it done by tonight! I'd nominate it but I don't think you have given any clues as to what it cost?

Maybe you can get Ray to make you a jade green type 38 handset for it? A nice buffed up black Bakelite handset should look good as well. Great Find!

Terry

stub

Roody,
           WOW !!! Great find !! AE Catalog 4055 A , 1937, pages 10 - 11 say you could get these in Jade Green, Old Ivory, Chinese Red, Mahogany, Walnut, and of course Black .  Check your PM.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield