News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500

Started by Jerry, January 27, 2010, 11:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

I am in hopes someone can help me.  I have a WE model 500DM.  When lifting the handset, I get a dial tone.  I cannot dial out. Leaving the dial tone on, after a short period  I get a message that I have exceed the time to dial and to hang up and try again, then I get a busy signal.  Hang up and lift the receiver and I get the busy signal.  The only way to get rid of the busy signal is to disconnect from the wall jack. Thanks Jerry

Dennis Markham

Hi Jerry,  Welcome to the Forum. As is often the case the "doctor" needs more information.  Is it possible for you to show some photos of your wiring inside the phone?  More than likely your issue is related to the wiring of the dial and or other component to the network.

To upload a photo, simply click "Additional Options" below the message box.  You will see a Browse feature so you can browse your file manager for the photo.  We'll be glad to trouble-shoot your problem.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

Jerry:

Welcome to the forum.  Hopefully we can assist you.

Based on the information you have given, it is either wired wrong, or the network has been internally damaged.  It is more likely that there is a wiring or connection problem than it is to be damaged.  Do you know the history of the phone?  Was it working at some point in time and then quit, or perhaps you do not know anything about it if you recently bought it.

Can you post a good clear photo of the way the wires are connected internally on the network?  That would be a good starting point.  

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

teka-bb

Hello Jerry,

Is your phone connected to an analog telephone line or do you use voip?

See also http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=812.0
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Jerry

Thanks for your help.    Ask and you shall receive.  Attached is a pix of the wiring.  A point of clarification.  Terminal R has a red and orange wire.  The orange is actual the yellow input line.  The blue to terminal G N is the green input line.  I had to splice these wires as the input jack would not accommodate  the line plug.  I have also attached a wiring diagram for more clarity.  This phone was recently purchased along with two 554's  so I have no history of this unit.  Hope this helps.
Jerry

Dennis Markham

Jerry,

On the jack that you modified.  You aren't trying to plug in the mounting cord here are you?  The size of that opening is larger to accommodate the handset cord plug.  Your wire connects may be correct there.  The older, hardwired sets had four wires.  Two white, one red and one black.  A white and red would attach to R.  The Black wire would attach in the center to B and the other white wire would attach to GN.  The wires that appeared later on the modular plugs had different colors but in essences were the same.  It is important that the pins in that modified jack line up with those connections at the network.

Your dial appears to be wired correctly.  Blue wire to F, Blue wire to RR, White to R and White to GN.

The mounting cord jack at the back should be wired Red to L2, Yellow (although unused) can attach to G and Green to L1.

The Ringer connections are Red to L2, Black to L1, Slate (or white) to K and Red/Slate (striped wired) to A.

If all of your connections are correct then the issue may be with a bent dial contact.

My first suspicion would be with that modified handset jack.

~Dennis

jsowers

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the handset coiled cord attaches on the left side of the phone and the mounting cord on the back. The handset cord has a smaller size modular connector than the mounting cord on purpose so they can't be interchanged. Hopefully someone hasn't nipped off the end of the handset cord and crimped on the wrong connector. If you look at one of your 554s, you may be able to see what I'm referring to, since they're pretty much the same inside.

I can't tell you how many auctions I've seen where someone has plugged the handset into the back of the phone where the mounting cord goes. Some even say that the phone works, which would be impossible in that configuration.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Thanks for clearing that up Jonathan.  I knew the handset was smaller.  The rest of what I wrote should be accurate. :-[

Keywords: Should Be.

~Dennis

Jerry

Atached is  a wire diagram of the 425B.  I think what you are telling me is that I have my jacks reversed.  I need to put the modified jack in the back to receive the line cord and the handset on the side.

Phonesrfun

You definitely have the jacks reversed.   The handset jack goes to GN, R, and BK on the network, and the line cord goes to L1,L2, and G

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Jerry, yes, the handset is connected on the side.  The line cord goes in the back.  The back jack looks like the line cord jack based upon the colors.  Red, Green, Yellow and Black.  Connect them as I indicated above.

The modular jacks that I have to compare to have White, Red, Green and Black wires.  Connect White and red to Terminal R, Black to Terminal B, and Green to Terminal GN.

I didn't check the rest of your connections but they appear to be correct.   If the switch of the plugs doesn't clear it up for you we'll look at them closer.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

Alot of people talk about previous posts as being "above", rather than below. 

Am I the only one that has the option set to put the most recent posts at the top? 

I kind of like that option, so when I am looking at the forum topics I don't have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list to see the most recent.  Granted, the order I see them is reversed, but it sure seems to save a lot of scrolling.  No biggie, but I was wondering if others have that option set?

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

I don't have that option, at least not anyplace that I can see.

HobieSport

The sequence of posts depends if you're logged on or off.
-Matt

Phonesrfun

Quote from: McHeath on January 29, 2010, 12:14:14 AM
I don't have that option, at least not anyplace that I can see.

It's a forum option under Profile, then select the "Look and Layout Preferences" menu, and it is the 7th checkbox down.
-Bill G