News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Muffled sound from phone handset

Started by Clueless in Seattle, September 21, 2012, 12:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clueless in Seattle

First, I have to confess that this post is not about rotary phones.  So, if you know of a more appropriate web forum for me to post my query, I'd be grateful if you could point me there.

I have a couple of old corded land-line phones and the folks I talk to from these phones complain that the sound of my voice is weak and muffled.

My third phone doesn't have this problem.  It's looks like a Trimline style and says on the bottom, "Manufactured in Thailand by AT&T."  I can't find a model name or description on it anywhere.

All my phones are from yard sales (I'm a low-income disabled senior, so virtually everything I own is hand-me-down).

As I've gotten older and the symptoms of disabling chronic illness have gotten worse, I'm having more and more trouble getting out these days.  So I've come to depend more and more on my phones to keep in touch with the outside world.

I'd be grateful for advice on whether or not the poor sound quality from two of my phones is something that could be repaired.

Or if I might get by by replacing the handsets on them.

Or if I should just replace them.

If replacement is the way to go, then I'd appreciate advice on how to find a phone that produces adequate volume and a clear voice signal.

Because my phone has become so important to me as a kind of electronic lifeline, I figure it's worth it to spend what it takes to get a couple of high quality ones.  They needn't be touch-tone phones.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

AE_Collector

If they are older phones that have transmitter and receiver caps that unscrew, remove the transmitter cap and then remove the capsule that is inside. Give it a couple of sharp raps on a table and put it back together and make a test call. This frequently improves the transmission from carbon transmitters.

Terry

HarrySmith

Hi and welcome to the forum!
We are not sticklers about only rotary phones, we like all kinds! Even those newfangled ones with those push button things :D
If Terry's suggestion does not work try swapping the handset & cord from one of the other phones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"