News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045/1050 Telephone Tester - Sightings!

Started by AE_Collector, July 30, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Nice!...You guys really scored! I didn't know these existed.

Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Those are so cool, congratulations. I think I will have to stick with my 1045A & feel fortunate to have it.
Gary

AE_Collector

In reality I don't know what extra features in the 1050 I will ever use or even be able to figure out how to use. And, the 1045 would use much less desk space as well. I am surprised that there isn't a dial speed or make/break read out function in these as well. But, it is what it is!

Terry

Key2871

The 1045 is easy to use. It gives a display of the digit dialed, either by rotary or tone phone. You can check transmit, via an led on the front that reacts to the sound in the transmitter, it can ring phones, even adds resistance to simulate long loops.
You can test answering machines, by connecting another set in the second Jack, you press ring hear the ring back tone in the receiver, wait till the machine answers. Leave a message and go on hook. It also provides polarity reverse for the older touch tone phones. It checks 4P4C line cords, for 1or 2 line function. It tests modular handset cords for pin out on all four pins, let's you see if one or more is open on either line or handset cord tests. A very versatile unit. It does not test break rate, but I have noticed if a dial runs really slow, it will not display a digit. Same if it's too fast. So it may have that to tell you that the dial failed.
I have bought some on e bay, that don't work. I had one that if I pressed ring, it would once, then click there after.
I opened it and figured out the timer was "bouncing". It needed a small capacitor to stop the bounce, so I put one in and it worked perfectly. I got lucky.
But there is dangerous voltages inside, the ring generator puts out a healthy 130 volts. It will get your attention is you touch it.
KEN

Sigmaz

Yep thats the short list of the 1050's capabilities as well.

The 1050 also has a battery of wonderfully useless RF tests for checking and aligning 46 and 49 mhz analog cordless phones and bases.

Those features will probably never be used on my 1050.. There are also a bunch of features to utilize a scope and what not.. again semi useless.

But one neat thing I found is that you can also have it continuously ring which is a fine option for testing ring circuits without the ring current cycling on and off.

...or if you need a 20hz 130v power source for HV projects...lol

Key2871

True, a continuous ring voltage would be good for "tuning up " a ringer. And for the price point when I got my 1045 versus buying a 1050, well I couldn't justify the price difference.
KEN

Key2871

Wow, $65 for a 1050. Well I've always said flea bay is driving prices down. When I got my 1045, a 1050 was an easy $5/600, for a good used one. Now , well now they are cheap as dirt. Congrats to the recipients, you got a great deal.
KEN

Sigmaz

I'm not sure if it was the eBay effect but more so the fact that this company deals with reselling used high end bench equipment and the 1050's were archaic worthless devices in their eyes.

After all, why would anyone need a 30 year old telephone analyzer in today's day and age?

Lol

Key2871

Well last I looked on the bay, people were selling what looked to be nothing less than dumpster finds with missing buttons, broken displays and grungy cases for big bucks. Don't know if they sold or not. But it was a pair, for some crazy price of $95. I wouldn't even consider those. Old, Yea. But those 1050's you picked up look nice, compared to what I have seen available. And that price... Wow nice find.
KEN

Sigmaz

Haha.. This guy..∆∆
Lol

Anyway, here is a short video showing a quick run through of Terry's unit.

***** CLICK HERE *****

AE_Collector

Heh...Good Job! Gives a good overview of this unit. And, now I can see what it used to be able to do compared to after it gets shipped across the country!

Terry

Sigmaz

$569 for a 1045A ... lol!!

Well, it is from Beverly Hills...

Haf

QuoteWell, it is from Beverly Hills...

at least free shipping ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sigmaz on April 21, 2018, 07:59:59 PM
Well, it is from Beverly Hills...

Rumour has it that it was used to test Ruth Buzzi's 555 Cord Board used on Laugh-In!

Terry

dsk

I'm really impressed of what that tester can do, and it does it so much quicker than what I can get the results with meters and PC.

In one way I want it, but for $1200  (shipping and customs to Norway included) I may get many phones....  ;)   :'(    :-X

dsk