"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Superman Phone $6,399.99 on eBay ????

Started by ....., May 20, 2015, 04:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on May 20, 2015, 11:54:24 PM
Now, if that wood box base were filled with Kryptonite . . .  who knows . . .
But then it would have awfully weak receive! Hello, Superman. Superman, are you there? I can't hear you!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

It's obviously a fake.  You don't need a phone to call Superman because he can hear you wherever you are without a phone.  If he chooses to answer, he can be where you are in person almost instantly.   ;D
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

I think it was made from a WE G-mount. That switchhook is the same on that phone, as is the F1 handset and dial mount.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Telephone_Singer22

It is now August 8th 2015 and it has now been relisted...again for the same $7,999,99 price. How stupid could this guy possibly be?

19and41

Some folks feel that if you do something stupid for a long time, it doesn't seem as stupid.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

For the record, as if the eBay listing will someday disappear, the seller described it as "Vintage bell system western electric 43A Superman very rare rotary Telephone hand set marked bell system  made for western electric the dial metal is marked i searched on ebay and the web and can not find another telephone like this the man i got this from told me his father was in the movie industry from the 1950s to 1970 this was  a item that was gifted to him by a friend in  the industry he was not sure the exact persons name who had given it to his dad he told me they used it in there home wen he was a kid it is so cool if you are into old telephones or old comic books this is a must have original superman telephone looks in great shape i have not had a chance to test it yet but it looks all there all items sold as is as pictured and described."

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14398.15

I'm sure he could not, can not and will not ever find another phone like this. As a frankengift, it had sentimental value to the giver and hopefully the receiver way back when it was given life. But, except for the one descendent today who may lay claim to the phone as being built or owned by an ancestor, it's going to be a tough sell, especially with the $29.99 shipping tacked on   ;) . . .  IMHO, of course.

And some of that opinion is based on the fact that a "real" Wonder Woman phone only sold for $2,550 or so about a year and a half ago.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11224.msg119859#msg119859

Instead of eBay, maybe they should try Barrett Jackson Auctions. I know it's not a car, but it's priced like one.

QuietStove

HarrySmith

WOW! If you are going to try for that kind of money at least clean it up! Make it pretty, shiny & irresistible! Or, at least clean the cord and reverse it to tighten up the curls a little ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I think they heard that superman phones are rare and valuable. Real ones are. There are 2 styles of real superman phones. Superman with a cloth cape, production got shut down on it due to licensing issues, only a few were produced ( there was a wonder woman with the same issue). There was also the superman with molded cape, I think it got shut down for the same reason. Other high end novelty phones were Pink Panther in a car, only a couple dozen were produced and due to quality issuse they were never sold (employees got them). They had boxes for the pink panther phones. Another one is the first Pillsbury Doughboy phone. 1,000 were produced as a promotion, they were poor quality so most got  tossed, These remind you of the mickey,snoopy, kermit, pooh bear phones. I have one of these, it was repaired.

These high end novelty phones can sell for $500-$1,000.
The phone in this auction is a "created" phone. It is worth what you can get for it $20-30 in my opinion.

JMO,

Jim S.

The phone in this auction is a "created" phone.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

An original Wonder Woman sold for $2,550 about two years ago. Here's a link to that topic, started by Doug Rose. Started at $10 and attracted 6 bidders. The winner was z***_ ( 26847 ) by was of his first and only bid 7 seconds before the auction ended.

Found the Superman Phone image by way of a Google search. It's a TT and don't know if it's original - anyone know?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11224.msg119253#msg119253

TelePlay

Here's a question. Seems there were more than one style of Superman Phones. Of the ones with a rotary dial, the one with the Wonder Woman base has a figurine of Superman not as well defined as the other style, the one where than handset hangs on the back of Superman. Are both styles "original" or only one?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on February 19, 2016, 08:32:20 PM
Here's a question. Seems there were more than one style of Superman Phones. Of the ones with a rotary dial, the one with the Wonder Woman base has a figurine of Superman not as well defined as the other style, the one where than handset hangs on the back of Superman. Are both styles "original" or only one?

The 2 I am aware of  (and mentioned in my post)are on each end. I think the wonder woman style was the first style. The 2 in the middle may of been after the licensing issue was resolved. Steve Hilsz knows some info regarding the company and the phones.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

This seems like a deal, or steal, but I don't follow these other than knowing of this topic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SUPERMAN-FIGURAL-ATE-1978-TELEPHONE-ROTARY-DIAL-/262716772234

No deal there. Phone doesn't work and it has been repaired. I'm thinking he'll need some super powers to get that price.
It say's "The back does have some minor cracking that I had repaired from the inside. It is solid !"