News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Manufacture Date Discussions

Started by HobieSport, October 27, 2008, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

The Navy version of the type 40 was built into the 1970s . Long enough  for the brass frame dial to get plastic gearing.

JohnInWI

I think it was manufactured prior to 1955.  In 1955 GTE accquired AE and moved manufacturing from Chicago to Northlake, IL.  The newer model 40s have the Northlake location on the patent decal.

AE_Collector

Another thing to look into is when did "Chicago" change to "Chicago 7" and what is "Chicago 7", a Postal Area? I tried Googling quickly but it seems there was an incident in 1968 referred to as "The Chicago Seven" that most links lead to. If adding the "7" was something that happened on a large scale on a certai ndate, that would help narrow some date ranges for AE equipment.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 31, 2012, 08:14:13 PM
Another thing to look into is when did "Chicago" change to "Chicago 7" and wat is "Chicago 7"? A Postal Area, Congressional Area, or ??. I tried Googling quickly but it seems there was an incident in 1968 referred to as "The Chicago Seven" that most links lead to. If adding the "7" was something that happened on a large scale on a certai ndate, that would help narrow some date ranges for AE equipment.

Terry

The "7" was the postal zone code for the area in Chicago where AE was located.  In 1963, the local codes were replaced by ZIP codes, so just about anything which shows a one or two-digit postal code was printed in 1963 or earlier.  The zone which was "7" would now be 60607.

Larry

AE_Collector

Any idea when the zones started though? I see lots of old AE tags with just Chicago on them and others with Chicago 7 on them. Maybe AE just didn't bother with the 7 initially even though it existed.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 31, 2012, 08:39:43 PM
Any idea when the zones started though? I see lots of old AE tags with just Chicago on them and others with Chicago 7 on them. Maybe AE just didn't bother with the 7 initially even though it existed.

Terry

I think that the zone numbers go way back.  It is certainly conceivable that AE or others would show "Chicago" on their label without being more specific about where in Chicago it was.

Larry

AE_Collector

Yeah it may have just been a small change for AE to add the 7 rather than a change that a date could be tied to. Too bad!

Terry

poplar1

2,272,474 is the last US Patent on the decal. What is the date for that?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on December 31, 2012, 10:13:37 PM
2,272,474 is the last US Patent on the decal. What is the date for that?

It looks like the patent was granted in Feb 1942 (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2272474.pdf).

Larry

JohnInWI

According to wikipedia, the US Postal Service introduced postal zone codes for larger US cities in 1943.  Therefore I think the phone was manufactured after 1943.

AE_Collector

Quote from: JohnInWI on January 01, 2013, 07:58:04 AM
According to wikipedia, the US Postal Service introduced postal zone codes for larger US cities in 1943.  Therefore I think the phone was manufactured after 1943.

Okay, that is what I was looking for. Thanks John.

This AE base tag has 11 different patents listed which I think is the most that any have. I have always meant to put together a list of the patent numbers on various AE's of this era and then look them all up. This could help narrow the manufacture date down a little further.

Terry

poplar1

2,272,474 covers the change to two plungers to replace the single plunger design of the AE 34. It was filed July 22, 1938 by Herbert F. Obergfell and issued on Feb. 10, 1942.

The diagrams also show a metal bracket for the dial. This bracket was discontinued on later AE 40s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Just for fun, here is  the tag from the bottom of one of my AE40s.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here are two more.  The one which is printed straight onto the metal is on a phone which had the "butler's handle" (long since gone).

Larry

wds

I was looking at that patent drawing from 1938 and noticed it used the metal bracket to hold the dial - I always assumed the metal bracket was from the later models.  I have one of those that I was saving for a parts phone, but now I think I'll restore that one first.  It also has the nickel plated metal plunger bracket with the holes for the butler handle.  Of course I have not been able to find the butler handle yet.  It also has the patent label that is stamped on the bottom in red.
Dave