News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 301A Fiddleback

Started by Sargeguy, July 13, 2011, 10:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I bought one of these off eBay, partly because I thought I had all the parts to complete it, but mostly because of the description, which mentioned a 7-digit transmitter. 

I won the auction for $128 (thank you Bill Me Later) and the phone arrived today.  Despite leaving work a little early when I received notice that it had been deposited on my porch, I was still pressed for time, and only had an hour or so before the family got home, so I did not take before pictures.

When I saw the box I said, "Huh, I thought fiddlebacks were larger?"  I opened it up and found that it was "some assembly required".  I quickly located the transmitter and confirmed that it was a 7-digit  ;D ;D ;D

I looked at the rest of the phone and discovered to my horror/annoyance that the backboard had been sawn in half :o It was an old cut from what I could tell, but still ???  The writing shelf is also broken, with the lower half missing, but that is clear from the auction pics.  I am thrilled with the transmitter, which is worth more than the price I paid for the phone, so I may just have to suck it up. 

I broke down the rest of the phone and smeared it with Citri-Strip while i attacked the transmitter arm with Aircraft Remover.  The transmitter paint disintegrated rapidly, so I rinsed it and dried it in the over for a few minutes before hitting it with Krylon enamel, then baking it until my wife came home and found out what I was up to.  Later on I sanded down the phone and then used some Mirlon steel wool.  I shook it in a box of nails to give it some flea bites to make it look a little more realistic.

The transmitter was covered in black crud? old paint? That had to be scrubbed off with a 3M pad.  The early date transmitter cup is in excellent shape, but the transmitter face is missing large amounts of nickel.  The guts are intact, including the mica gasket. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409