News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5 Touch tone starlights for 17.50!!!

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 28, 2013, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I was on eBay and saw these gems, which need a lot of work. I actually don't own any touch tone starlights and now I own five. 4 of them are 12 button and 1 is 10 button thought it has extra buttons not labeled. I'm not sure what that means, if its like how WE phones were sometime refurbed with new baffles but they had the whole for star and pound wich was not added on after the fact.

Also: for five phones it was only 22 bucks for shipping, I didn't go with expedited shipping like shown in picture.

Tell me what you think, I think I got a good deal. I know that even the handset compotes are worth more than 17.50 on od' phone works.

They will definitely needed to be sanded down and repaired before getting sold off. It will also need new ringers that will work on standerd lines. And maybe will need line cords.

Ben

tptech302

They don't look all that bad actually. Clean and polish them good and see if you can tighten up the handset cord. I can't find the listing, did they say they were party ling ringer? Other wise they should ring just fine. I have 2 10 button starlights, both have the holes for * and # but blanked out.

Josh

poplar1

This one actually has 12 buttons, but two of them are not labeled.

I was watching the wall set he sold eariler; it is a 1553A with a 2A dial. The ringer is dated I 32. If the dial is also 1932, that would be rather late for a #2 dial. On the other hand, maybe they kept making the 2-type and 4-type simultaneously.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: tptech302 on March 28, 2013, 09:15:03 PM
They don't look all that bad actually. Clean and polish them good and see if you can tighten up the handset cord. I can't find the listing, did they say they were party ling ringer? Other wise they should ring just fine. I have 2 10 button starlights, both have the holes for * and # but blanked out.

Josh

Ok, maybe it was standerd?? The person knew nothing about the phones so I'm pretty sure they have party line ringers because all of the ones I have, have party line...

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on March 28, 2013, 09:38:51 PM
This one actually has 12 buttons, but two of them are not labeled.

I was watching the wall set he sold eariler; it is a 1553A with a 2A dial. The ringer is dated I 32. If the dial is also 1932, that would be rather late for a #2 dial. On the other hand, maybe they kept making the 2-type and 4-type simultaneously.

Hmft wonder what they do then??

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 28, 2013, 10:49:51 PMHmft wonder what they do then??

Ben

Probably nothing as they're most likely not connected internally... :)

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 28, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
1 is 10 button thought it has extra buttons not labeled. I'm not sure what that means, Ben

I'm putting my money on it being a UDK (Universal Dial Keypad) dial. That is, a push button dial that only produces dial pulse, not tones. AE made these for awhile so you could "save the cost of getting a touchtone line" while they were still able to sell you a NEW phone!

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 30, 2013, 12:09:00 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 28, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
1 is 10 button thought it has extra buttons not labeled. I'm not sure what that means, Ben

I'm putting my money on it being a UDK (Universal Dial Keypad) dial. That is, a push button dial that onbly produces dial pulse, not tones. AE made these for awhile so you could "save the cost of getting a touchtone line" while they were still able to sell you a NEW phone!

Terry

Thanks makes sense, then why didn't they just put a ten button dial on it? Hmft...

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 30, 2013, 12:32:34 AM
Thanks makes sense, then why didn't they just put a ten button dial on it? Hmft...

I am not sure unless they really wanted it to look modern like a real touch tone phone.

Do you have them yet? Check to see if there is a code on the base of the UDK Starlite.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 30, 2013, 12:48:08 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 30, 2013, 12:32:34 AM

I am not sure unless they really wanted it to look modern like a real touch tone phone.

Do you have them yet? Check to see if there is a code on the base of the UDK Starlite.

Terry

Don't have em yet thought by April 4th I should have them. Never heard of UDK... Thought I'l make sure to take many pictures..

Terry, does the starlight wall phones cover secured just buy a mounting screw and a little nub on top? Or is their a thing on the bottom where you push in?? I think I might have bought one with a redneck repair!

BEn

AE_Collector

Starlite wall phone covers do just "snap" on and off. A molded in tab and slot on the top and a metal spring tab on the bottom attached to the base and a slot in the plastic case that engages on the metal tab.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 30, 2013, 12:59:06 AM
Starlite wall phones do just "snap" on and off. A molded in tab and slot on the top and a metal spring tab on the bottom attached to the base and a slot in the plastic case that engages on the metal tab.

Terry

Oh ok good, so its not a aftermarket fastener.

monophone_lover

I came across this and other post bout ten button starlights here are a few found in south east Asia prusmably cheaper?? These were in the box when I got them I see them often over hear
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

lets try again
Rob
ATCA # 4057

AE_Collector

The two (maroon and ivory at front) look a lot like AE Starlites bit not quite the same as a North American Starlite. Are they made by an AE affiliate? I've seen some similar to these from Europe and South America.

Terry