News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stereoscopic Cameras

Started by 19and41, June 07, 2015, 10:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Here are a couple of my cameras.  Sadly their usefulness came to an end with the demise of Kodachrome slide film.  On the left is a Stereo realist, manufactured by David White.  It was designed by Seton Rochwite in 1947.  It sits atop a hand viewer and to their right are a couple of stereo slides.  On the right side is a Sawyers View Master Personal camera.  It required Kodachrome ASA 25 film as their images were magnified to a greater degree.  I managed to take a full packet of reel mounted slides with it before the 25 speed film was withdrawn from the market before the higher speeds were.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

Gee, I never knew you could take your own View Master reels. I had a View Master when I was a kid and a projector and lots of reels, circa 1967 or so. I remember seeing Stereo Realist ads in National Geographic.
Jonathan

19and41

You could take your own reels, and they had focusing view masters and projectors for either mono or stereo projection.  They manufactured 2 other types of personal cameras in Europe as well.  Sawyers ran fewer ads in the Geographics, usually around Christmastime.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I remember having a viewmaster when I was a kid, it was weird looking at photo slides that were 3-dimensional as a kid, totally understand it all now as an adult, but back then it was weird...  ;D

Just a shame it's all been made obsolete by the lack of appropriate film...

paul-f

The Stereo Realist is a classic.  My grandfather, a professional photographer, had one he liked so much he had his name printed on the back in gold leaf.  My father, who worked for Kodak for many years, got it when I was young and took a lot of photos with it.  Thanks for the memories.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

19and41

No problem.  White made some deluxe models with enhanced optical systems and were covered in exotic leathers.   I'd like to be able to see some of the slides that President Eisenhower took with his Realist.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/22/d8/ea/22d8eaa75938635242e50f74c650ec91.jpg
— Arthur C. Clarke