"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What cameras do you use?

Started by Greg G., November 22, 2009, 04:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Briny,

You may already have your new camera, (I'm late to catch this thread), but I use a Pentax Optio. I actually got it for underwater photography when boating and diving, as everyone in our kayak fishing forum highly recommended it, but it's great as a small regular all purpose camera too.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W80_-_Cardinal_Red/

-Matt
-Matt

Greg G.

Yes, I did get one.  I settled on a Sony Cybershot 12.1 megapix.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: ntophones on November 27, 2009, 09:24:14 PM
What beautiful cameras! Those beat my little Kodak Easy Share hands down, I'm thinking! :)
This subject appears to have morphed from its original intent to a discussion of vintage cameras. In an attempt to bring it back onto topic somewhat, but to keep it open for vintage cameras as well, here is my reply to the original question.

I use two digitals to take phone pix, one a Canon Powershot A640, 10 mpx, and a Canon EOS Rebel T1I DSLR, 15.1 mpx camera. Both do a great job, and though I have a ton of accessories for the T1I, my A640 remains my daily driver for phone shots due to its simplicity.

When in Macro mode, I find it generally takes great close-ups. I also have a Polaroid light tent which I can press into service, though don't use it nearly often enough - it allows me to take a photo using diffused flood from the side and a ring flash from the front for zero background shots. It works quite well.

Back to the subject of vintage cameras. I have quite a collection of vintage cameras, but I have really not added too much for the past few years - phone collecting is getting most of my attention.

I am uploading a listing of some of my favorites in my camera collection, including m Bronicas and accessories, Rolleiflexes, and Yashica, plus a neat little Mycro - a full fledged SLR that is little larger than a matchbox made in Japan post WWII.

I am also attaching a photo of some of my earlier Kodaks, my Bronica, and my Rolleiflex below

See the full PDF file below:

By the way, if someone makes me the right offer for trades on these for phones, my arm just might be able to be twisted to let go of some of the vintage ones. Bear in mind, some of the vintage ones such as the Bronica, I have spare bodies, film carriers, lenses, and tons of extras.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

After a long-term run with Nikon Coolpix 775 cameras (2001-technology - see CRPF Old Radio Topic), I finally fell prey to the post-Christmas sales and adopted a Canon A4000.

While its resolution is overkill for taking most phone photos, the macro mode, 3" monitor and (limited) video capability are useful.  For those that like to tinker with detailed settings, many are available using relatively simple menu entries.

Non-Canon accessories (batteries, chargers, etc.) are readily available at more reasonable prices than Canon-branded parts, if you're so inclined.

If you're on a tight budget and mainly taking casual photos for sharing on the forum or ebay auctions, just about any camera with 2 MP or greater and a macro mode will work fine.  I was surprised to see the old Coolpix 775 is still readily available at Amazon and other on-line sources.  There are lots of good options out there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

I use a Nikon D200 or D5000 with fixed 35mm 1.8 lens, or a Nikon P5100.  I recommend those in the market for a camera buy a Nikon or Canon, they are usually pretty good if not excellent at every price level.  The Nikon P series is useful for semi-serious photography.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 10, 2013, 08:11:59 PM
I use a Nikon D200 or D5000 with fixed 35mm 1.8 lens, or a Nikon P5100.  I recommend those in the market for a camera buy a Nikon or Canon, they are usually pretty good if not excellent at every price level.  The Nikon P series is useful for semi-serious photography.
I have had three Canons in a row, and still use the last two. I highly recommend Canon Digitals! I love the T1I, but the simpler A640 is still my daily driver insofar as quick phone pix. Nice to use the DSLR, but I love the A640 for quick shots!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

benkeys

I currently use a Nikon S4100. Its 14MP, SD & HD 720p video, 5x zoom, all touch screen expect the power button, and rechargeable battery. I got it refurbished for 50.00 off eBay around 6 months ago. Its probably a 2 or 3 year old model. Yeah its overkill for most things i take pics of but it was the right price. I usually keep it at 8MP,3264x2448 which is still quite a large image. It also has a boatload of features to it and is well worth 50.00 if you are looking for a good inexpensive camera and dont mind touch screen. It beats the pants off any kodak easyshare point&shoot i have had.

As far as vintage cameras, i have 2 Minolta SLR 35MM's with 40/50 and 200MM lenses but i cant seem to get the film advance levers to advance on either one. I need to get them looked at sometime so i can figure out if theyre worth keeping or if i should sell them off.. i wish i could remember the models but i'm too lazy to get up to look..
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....