News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 303: Burled Walnut Northern Electric #1 Uniphone - Ended 11-27-17

Started by TelePlay, November 22, 2017, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

All forum members are welcome and encouraged to guess.There are no wrong guesses, just one lucky guess. No one knows the winning guess on any auction until it ends.

Date Listed:  22 Nov 2017
Auction Duration:  5 Days
List Price:  $0.99
Current Bidders:  2
Current Price:  $15.75
Watchers:  8
Contest Tip from:  Pourme

GAP RULE:  At least $5 between guesses to prevent crowding.

Guess Deadline:  All guesses and a single allowed revised guess, if needed, MUST be submitted at least 24 hours before the auction ends.

Seller Listing Title:  "Northern Electric #1 Uniphone in Brown"

Condition:  "Used"

Condition Qualifier:  " - - - "

Listing Description:  "This auction is for one Northern Electric Uniphone #1 in Burled Mahogony / Brown walnut . This phone has no cracks or chips just normal wear and tear for an almost 70 year old telephone. It would be a great candidate for a restoration with addition of a couple of period cloth cords. The phone colour is closer to the first pic .... i have added others with a good flash to show the spectacular colours embedded in the case and handset."

eBay Link:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/312008942109

Another chance to move up or to get onto the CRPF Contest Standings List

Past Contest Phones:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17437.msg180238#msg180238]

If anyone is interested in taking over, running the Auction Contests, please send me a PM.   Let's talk about it . . .

S C O R E B O A R D      Players: 10 

$  200.00 - TelePlay  ( 11 )
$  230.00 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 9 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $226.37
$  357.00 - AE_Collector  ( 3 )
$  399.00 - skyrider  ( 1 )
$  406.00 - Fabius  ( 4 )
$  415.00 - Pourme  ( 10 )
$  425.00 - Doug Rose  ( 2 )
$  444.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 5 )
$  500.00 - HarrySmith  ( 8 )
$  555.00 - CanadianGuy  ( 7 )
$  749.00 - zapper  ( 6 )

Early Morning Auction Status

11-22-17      Listed     $       0.99
11-23-17      8 bids     $     60.00   ( 4 bidders & 12 - #61 )
11-24-17      8 bids     $     60.00   ( 4 bidders & 20 - #34 )
11-25-17    10 bids     $     76.00   ( 5 bidders & 25 - #25 )
11-26-17    10 bids     $     76.00   ( 5 bidders & 28 - #19 )
11-27-17    15 bids     $   105.50   ( 6 bidders & 29 - #15 )
11-27-17      9 bidders, 21 bids  Ended at 11:37:02AM PST

Doug Rose

These are really tough to photograph, they do look like pic #1. I purchased mine from Paul F. It was painted and it really protected the bakelite.

I got my wall version from Stephen Jester in a trade. These are just super phones and in the correct light they look terrific.

My guess is $425...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

MTS Dial Card = Manitoba Telephone System for those wondering. Typical of phones in Saskatchewan and Manitoba during this era, it has a GPO Dial as much of the automatic switching equipment installed after WW2 was obtained from Britain.

$357

Terry

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

zapper

CanadianGuy

That's where I live! I can't believe how high some of your guesses are! Is that eBay hype causing such high prices? I don't know what the flea market/garage sale price would typically be. I've seen a fair number of regular black ones like this over the past 10 years. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic.

$555

Doug Rose

Quote from: CanadianGuy on November 23, 2017, 06:58:47 PM
That's where I live! I can't believe how high some of your guesses are! Is that eBay hype causing such high prices? I don't know what the flea market/garage sale price would typically be. I've seen a fair number of regular black ones like this over the past 10 years. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic.

$555
CG....big difference, you can usually get a working Black one for about $30.....Doug
Kidphone

CanadianGuy

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 23, 2017, 08:08:25 PM
CG....big difference, you can usually get a working Black one for about $30.....Doug

I meant for the rare one :)

TelePlay

That's where I live! I can't believe how high some of your guesses are! Is that eBay hype causing such high prices? I don't know what the flea market/garage sale price would typically be. I've seen a fair number of regular black ones like this over the past 10 years.

In the era of art deco Bakelite radio cabinet, mottled burgundy or burled walnut is common if they survived. In phones, they are quite rare probably in that there weren't as many made with respect to black and few of the few made it to today without being broken and tossed. Bob Angel had a mottled burgundy

with a broken Bakelite finger wheel, cap and cradle and he detailed his repair of the finger wheel at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14268.0

The radio cabinets I have are outstanding once cleaned and polished. This contest phone is rare (not found that often) and in good condition so it will sell for more than a black version, as Doug said. I can not remember seeing even a handful of these over the years. Not unobtanium priced but not black cheap either.

This one with a broken off and missing cradle ear sold for $430 about 4 years ago.

That's the history or the basis I use when selecting any phone for an auction contest. Hope this helps you see why it's special.

This is one of my burled walnut radio cabinets, hard to photograph as Doug said, but in person a very handsome radio.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

I can't believe how high some of your guesses are! Is that eBay hype causing such high prices?

$555

And then you guessed the second highest price so far?!

Terry

CanadianGuy

I was going to go all-out and say $1000 for sh*ts and giggles, but I don't normally participate in these as it is. Plus, 555 sounded cool since they use that in movies for the NXX/exchange code :P

AE_Collector