News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF "Auction Contest" Rules

Started by AE_Collector, January 18, 2013, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I would think that no one is going to guess the same price as a previous bidder. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 20, 2013, 06:11:30 PM
I would think that no one is going to guess the same price as a previous bidder.  

I'm not so sure...look at the last auction! I guess a whole other discussion would be "closed ballot bids" that get "published" at the toip of the auction contest (like they are now) at the 24 hours to go point in time with no one knowing what the other guy has bid. Other than the fact that it is more work to administer this would work and could even be more interesting than it is now.

So how does this sound then as a compromise inbetween fair and uncomplicated:

Rule #1 - Closest guess to the final selling price wins.
Rule #2 - Guesses need to be in 24 Hours before the auction completetion time/date.
Rule #3 - Try to split the difference evenly when placing your guess between two other guesses that have less than 10% 'space' between them.

Terry

AE_Collector

Going to give these "rules" or really "guidelines" a test run on Auction 81:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8580.0

Terry

Russ Kirk

I will chime in and agree this is supposed to fun and taken too seriously.  also it should be simple.  Whenever I post my guess (all have been losers so far) I glance at the recent guesses and give people some wiggle room.

For that reason most of the "rules" seem OK with me and I can live with any/all decisions. 
If we really want to, a vote/poll can be taken,  but looking at the # of people posting comments here the poll would be decided by a very small percentage. 

So my suggestion is.........

Rule #1a - Closest guess to the final selling price wins.
OR
Rule #1b - Closest guess to the final selling price - without going over - wins.
AND
Rule #2 - Guesses need to be in 24 Hours before the auction completetion time/date.

This is fun!

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 20, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lets try this as our next "Auction Contest".

We have talked about an adjustment to the "rules" of the "Auction Contests" so lets try these out as "guide lines" rather than rules.

#1 - Closest guess to the final selling price wins (over or under final price is okay).

Terry

Glad to see that new rule.  I never understood the "not going over rule" even on the old "Price Is Right" show.  If something was $100, and one contestant guessed $75, another $101, it never made any sense to me that the contestant who was $25 off won over the contestant who was within $1.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yes rule 3 is really a courtesy suggestion more than anything. As Russ said, check the other previous guesses and try to not go in right beside the guess of someone else. So the main change will be the elimination of the "can't be over the final selling price" which makes more sense to me in this sort of contest.

Terry

paul-f

Another way to handle the rule 3 question is to call anyone within some range of the final price a co-winner.

That way, no one has to check current bids when guessing to be courteous.

All guessers within a few $ (or a few %) of the final price deserve recognition as winners -- not just the one who squeaks in $1 or .01% closer.

The one who is closest can be named first on the list.

It will also be interesting to see how we do as a group.  We could report what % of the guesses are winners.  A group goal could be to have all guesses fall in the winning range.  The more winners the merrier.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

I don't mind changing to the "whoever is closest to the final price" wins.  Nor do I mind the 24 hours early rule either.  I don't really like the idea of a percentage or fixed number to spread between bids.  Now I have to do math.  Everyone raise their hand who thinks that is fun. 

Yeah, didn't think so.  Oh ok, I see that hand over there. :)

So if we do the percent here is my brain trying to figure it out:

"Hmm, let's see, 'Tupackaphone' thinks this moldy yellowed 1949 500 will go for $347.92, while 'Phone Solo' thinks it will go for $375.08 and 'PhunyPhone' thinks it will go for $353.29.  So, uh, that means, I can, uh, place my bid at, uh, 5% less than 'PhunyPhone' but, uh, wait uh, what will 5% be?  And do I calculate that off 'Tupackaphone' or 'Phone Solo'?  Oh the pressure!"

I try not to crowd people on the bids, but hey all's fair in love and phones. ;)

DebbieDoo

So what exactly do we win if we win?  Just the notoriety of guessing correctly? Or a million bucks????;)

Greg G.

Quote from: DebbieDoo on March 22, 2014, 12:10:27 AM
So what exactly do we win if we win?  Just the notoriety of guessing correctly?

Yeah, that.  It's just a guessing game.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DebbieDoo

Darn, I hoping for the millions bucks!!!  ;)

AE_Collector

Haven't any of the winners been receiving their $250K checks?

I'll have to look into that.

JOHN!!!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 22, 2014, 01:54:44 AM

JOHN!!!

Terry

I got my three . . . Thanks, Terry!

DebbieDoo

Quote from: TelePlay on March 22, 2014, 02:08:30 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on March 22, 2014, 01:54:44 AM

JOHN!!!

Terry

I got my three . . . Thanks, Terry!

Man you could buy a hell of a lot of phones with that kind of money!!!

AE_Collector

But we will have to increase the membership fees here!

Terry