News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to remove crank from Stromberg-Carlson 5 bar magneto?

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, January 27, 2016, 09:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, this is my first post to the site! Anyways, I am only fourteen and own several antique phones, one of them being a 1900's S.C. Candlestick phone with ringer box/subset. The box has a 5 bar magneto in it that I want to remove to clean it up, but I can't seem to get the crank to come off to remove the magneto. Is it screwed on? Pushed on? Glued? I tried twisting it, but I can't get it to come loose. I've seen on some magnetos the drive shaft is threaded, and the crank screws on. What is the best way to remove mine? Note that the magneto gears and armature spin fine when you crank it.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

AE_Collector

Hi and welcome to the rotary phone forum. There are several members on here in their teen years so you will have good company!

I don't know about your specific magneto for certain but most magneto cranks have threads and simply screw on and off. Cranking it in reverse of the normal direction willl remove the handle. However, since most likely it hasn't been removed for a long time it might take some coaxing. Try cranking in reverse quite suddenly and forcefully to see if it will come loose. If not try holding the large gear of the magneto in place while applying presure to the handle in reverse.

If there is something different with this magneto others will soon point that out.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here!

Quite the knowledgeable community, very helpful, and quite tolerant, or else they wouldn't let my dumb arse still participate. ;)

You might also try some judiciously applied penetrating lubricant where you are trying to loosen. Take care not to overspray, and damage other vintage, or otherwise possibly irreplaceable parts / components. You can utilize plastic wrap, etc. to confine your efforts to a specific area, if need be.

"A little dab'll do ya", take baby steps. Much easier to add more than wish you'd done less, eh? :o

Best regards, and keep us posted. (We wants pictures, lol!)

Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome! I just turned 17, so you're in good company! ;D

I agree, a little WD-40 on the threads and a firm turn should do the trick.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Holtzer-Cabot

Update! I got it off! I just tried  to hold the larger gear with a pair of pliers and gave the crank a good turn and it came unscrewed from the shaft!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

WesternElectricBen

Welcome!

In the future, I would not recommend using WD-40 for lubrication, as "WD" stands for water displacement. Unfortunately, sometimes it has the reverse effect of lubrication over time. 

Ben

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 28, 2016, 10:15:27 PM
In the future, I would not recommend using WD-40 for lubrication, as "WD" stands for water displacement. Unfortunately, sometimes it has the reverse effect of lubrication over time. 

Well, if it's stuck it's stuck; WD40 or CRC often helps. In this case you really only want it on the crank thread so you might want to use the tube applicator so you don't get it all over the place. You can get non pressure-pack versions as well that can be applied more carefully (and you don't have to breathe it). Diesel works as well but be careful where it goes - just put it where it is needed.

WD40 isn't a long term lubricant though, if you need lubrication, use a 3-in-1 or other light machine oil.

Enjoy the hobby!

Jack