News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial with Crank!

Started by Doug Rose, September 16, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Notice there is no clear shot of the crank handle. How to ruin a real nice phone. Where is that magneto??....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/n2pe6lt
Kidphone

rdelius

It was built that way.From Egypt ,Ericssion related factory.Mine got stolen so I cannot tell you more

WesternElectricBen

The crank is about a .5 inch from the dial.

Ben

wds

Looks a lot like my Call Central GPO phone.  Crank on mine is much farther down.
Dave

wds

Here's a wall version with the crank much closer to the dial.  Sure would like to see the inside of the phone in the first picture.
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on September 16, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
It was built that way.From Egypt ,Ericssion related factory.Mine got stolen so I cannot tell you more
Robbie....why would you have a dial and a magneto? Where could that magneto be? Isn't the angle of the handle tough to crank the magneto. I trust your expertise, but this really looks bizarre....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

We talked about dial phones wit hMagneto's awhile ago. Was it for party lines where you could ring others on your same party line with the Magneto where as you would dial everyone else? Possibly no "reverting call connectors" in a SxS CO?

To me a dial and a magneto in the same phone frequently spells "Kludge" but not always apparently.

The odd angle on this one does seem suspect but it sounds as though Robby has seen it before.

Terry

G-Man

We've discussed this several times on this forum-

There have been several dial-magneto simplex instruments that have been shown on this forum.

Some were manufactured by Northern Electric, L.M. Ericsson and Automatic Electric.

AE_Collector

Do you recall the purpose of such a phone G-Man?

Terry

Haf

As far as I learned it was from a time ( or maybe there are some areas where it is still) when not every central office had modern switching technology. So you used the crank to call your operator and then two possibilities, for a local call you get just plugged to the party you want to talk to or if you wanted to dial you where plugged to a line to the next bigger central office with switching technology what can handle self dial.
Maybe you can compare with a hotel, crank for the check-in desk and then get manually switched to another place or room in the hotel or get a line to dial yourself outside.

The only thing that nobody could answer me was.. how did they prevent the possibility to crank during a call by accident? What would have happened then with the CO's equipment?

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

G-Man

Simplex dialing and ringing allowed these telephones to be used with combined magneto and automatic dial service. As I have already stated, while used on a limited basis throughout the world, it was especially popular in the Prairie Provinces of Canada. 

Here is a description from a Northern Electric document-

SIMPLEX DIALLING
The dial is used for signalling the Central Once or for dialling other
parties, on lines connecting through the Central Office. The generator is
used for code-ringing parties on the same line.

A lift-to-talk button is provided on this set to allow the user to determine
if the line is in use without interfering with another user. This is
particularly desirable when dialling by another party is in progress.

SIMPLEX RINGING
Simplex ringing to the Central is accomplished by depressing
the key on the generator. The operation of the key connects the
generator between ground and the two sides of the line in parallel.
Parties on the same line are signalled by code ringing. The key is not
operated and generator current is applied on a metallic basis across the line.
The set may be connected to provide divided-code ringing. In this type
of operation, parties on one side of the line are signalled by regular code
ringing. Parties on the opposite side of the line are signalled through
the Central Office.

And here is a previous thread showing an Ericcson telephone in Wayne, Alberta-

•   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9232.15

If you were calling another party on your own line, you simply turned the crank on the
magneto.
To make a regular exchange call, you would dial the number of the desired subscriber.

A bit further regarding these telephones.

They were dubbed the "Alberta Special" since they were primarily used by Alberta Government Telephones for serving subscribers on very long, rural lines. Other Canadian lecs used them as well. Northern Electric and Automatic Electric also manufactured comparable sets.
Quote from: G-Man on April 15, 2013, 06:38:32 PM
If you were calling another party on your own line, you simply turned the crank on the magneto.
To make a regular exchange call, you would dial the number of the desired subscriber.

canuckphoneguy posted photos of one that he came across during a road trip last August. The crank had been removed when the converted to fully automatic service.

Here is a link to his thread- http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0
Here are the instructions to the subscribers as posted on its number card:

LIFT HANDSET AND LISTEN

IF LINE IS FREE PRESS CALL BUTTON

PARTY CALL: TURN HANDLE FOR CODE RING

CENTRAL CALL: DIAL CENTRAL NUMBER

G-Man

Here is a close-up of the calling instructions shown on the telephone in Wayne, Alberta-

Haf

Here's an example of a dial and crank set from AE (even if the phone is disconnected from the subset both belong originally together):

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

G-Man

Quote from: Haf on September 17, 2013, 06:59:51 AM
Here's an example of a dial and crank set from AE (even if the phone is disconnected from the subset both belong originally together):

Yes, I was able to identify your instrument as being capable of hybrid signaling back in Febuary-
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8723.0

G-Man

Re: AE 21 candlestick wiring problem
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:13 AM »

Your ringer box and telephone set was not intended for use on standard loop dialing lines.

Notice that the dial is connected to ground through the switchook, with the other side going to both sides of the line through the center tap of the ringer coils.

As with a couple of other instruments that have surfaced on the list lately, yours was used on a composite/simplex dialing line that allowed for both magneto and automatic signaling.

Rural telephone companies located mostly in Canada were the primary users of these types of sets.

G-Man

Re: AE 21 candlestick wiring problem« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »

I forgot to add that your instrument and magneto subset is probably worth much more than it being hacked into a more common loop dial instrument.

TelePlay

For posterity, here is that phone from the front showing the crank is not near the dial.