News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Life's a beach phone.

Started by Greg G., May 18, 2014, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Is it real or a prop?  (The phone I mean, the lady is real, you may even recognize her).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

What's that second cord for? Could that be a two phone pedestal "booth?" Doesn't look wide enough.

BDM

I say real. Notice the pipe feed for the wire at the bottom of the pole. I doubt they would have plopped it down with that type of detail.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Adam

I also think it's "real".

However, the picture is labeled "beach phone booth" but I do not think it is a public coin phone.  More likely, it is simply an outdoor phone installed near the pool area of a resort, so that hotel guests can answer pages, etc.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Adam on May 18, 2014, 09:54:24 PMHowever, the picture is labeled "beach phone booth" but I do not think it is a public coin phone.  More likely, it is simply an outdoor phone installed near the pool area of a resort, so that hotel guests can answer pages, etc.

'paging Mr. Melvin Spearmin.'

Greg G.

Quote from: Adam on May 18, 2014, 09:54:24 PM
I also think it's "real".

However, the picture is labeled "beach phone booth" but I do not think it is a public coin phone.  More likely, it is simply an outdoor phone installed near the pool area of a resort, so that hotel guests can answer pages, etc.

The label was the file name I gave it when I downloaded it, so as not to give away the lady's identity.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 18, 2014, 10:02:59 PM

'paging Mr. Melvin Spearmin.'

Actually, I think she was confirming a booking on a tour boat.
- Mike Row
e

Nick in Manitou

Briny,

When are you going to tell us who it is?

Greg G.

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 19, 2014, 08:59:59 AM
Briny,

When are you going to tell us who it is?

That's Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.
- Mike Row
e

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for that.  I was getting a cramp in my brain trying to figure out who she was!

AE_Collector

Yeah I can see that. One of the few reamining still alive from that show now. Dawn used to hang out in the Pacific Northwest a lot. Maybe she lived up this way, the "Professor" does. She always attended charity events like telethons here in Vancouver.

I bet the extra cord is really an "Extra Long" cord on a hook maybe.

Terry

DavePEI

Ahh, a Minnowphone. Poolside on the Good Ship Minnow! Must have been invented by the Professor!

Brings back some memories from when I was young. I had quite a crush on her :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 19, 2014, 07:43:20 PM
Yeah I can see that. One of the few reamining still alive from that show now. Dawn used to hang out in the Pacific Northwest a lot. Maybe she lived up this way, the "Professor" does. She always attended charity events like telethons here in Vancouver.

I bet the extra cord is really an "Extra Long" cord on a hook maybe.

Terry

Originally from Nevada, but she went to college here at the U of W, According to Wikipedia:

QuoteWells was born in Reno, Nevada, where she attended Reno High School. She later attended Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri, where she majored in chemistry. She transferred to the University of Washington in Seattle, where she graduated in 1960 with a degree in theater arts and design. She was a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority.
In 1959, Wells was crowned Miss Nevada and represented her state in the 1960 Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Russell Johnson (The Professor) passed away just last January, but he lived on Bainbridge Island.  That leaves only Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) and Tina Louise (Ginger).
- Mike Row
e