News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray AE 90

Started by Jim Stettler, March 02, 2022, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I bought this Gray AE 90 on eBay February 2022.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373927547640

I had never heard of a Gray AE 90. This is an early set with the painted switch hook.

It reminded me of the very rare dark Blue  AE 90. I think it is the same vintage.

My total with purchase, tax and shipping was $91.81.
I felt it was a nice price.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Quote from: Jim Stettler on March 02, 2022, 09:49:06 PM
I bought this Gray AE 90 on eBay February 2022.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373927547640

I had never heard of a Gray AE 90. This is an early set with the painted switch hook.

It reminded me of the very rare dark Blue  AE 90. I think it is the same vintage.

My total with purchase, tax and shipping was $91.81.
I felt it was a nice price.
Jim
Nice snag James! Thought you weren't buying any more phones??? ;-)

Ever seen a CLEAR AE90? With a Clear dial-blank?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

compubit

Very nice! I can dream about picking one up some day, whereas I treat the Colonial Blue as unobtainium...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

kleenax

Quote from: compubit on March 02, 2022, 10:07:49 PM
Very nice! I can dream about picking one up some day, whereas I treat the Colonial Blue as unobtainium...

Jim
Long ago, Gene Doom & I were rummaging through a literal PILE of AE80's and 90's at Paul Vaverchak's one day and found a Dark Blue AE90 in-the-original-box. When asked for a price, Paul said, "that's a rare color, so I would have to get $50 for it".  We had to flip a coin to see who got to buy it; I lost :-(
10 yrs later, Gene brought it to Lancaster one year TO SHOW, and someone dropped down $300 for it; he couldn't refuse for that price.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on March 02, 2022, 09:56:02 PM
Nice snag James! Thought you weren't buying any more phones??? ;-)

Ever seen a CLEAR AE90? With a Clear dial-blank?
I slowed down on buying phones, I do make exceptions.

I haven't seen a clear AE90 (yet)
Jim
You live, You learn,

likewow

Looks like you got a real bargain! That's an eBay category I didn't know about  :-\

kleenax

Quote from: likewow on March 07, 2022, 03:40:41 PM
Looks like you got a real bargain! That's an eBay category I didn't know about  :-\
Category doesn't really matter; it's what your search parameters are. eBay will search ALL categories to meet your search.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

compubit

Usually I have my categories narrowed down, otherwise I end up 10000 cell-phone related items...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

allnumbedup

Jim: a good phone to "make an exception for" in my opinion...HTF color on a HTF early model at a good price. What does the tab on the handset side of the case in the back of this phone do?  Is this a standard feature of AE90's? I have had only one early black one with a painted hook that did not have it. I haven't noticed that on others before...JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

SUnset2

My later red AE 90 has a hooklatch like that. Only the listen circuit is enabled until you push the lever. That way you don't barge into the other party's call.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 09, 2022, 02:45:38 PM
My later red AE 90 has a hooklatch like that. Only the listen circuit is enabled until you push the lever. That way you don't barge into the other party's call.
Thanks for answering that question.
I was also wondering.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: allnumbedup on March 09, 2022, 08:49:58 AM
Jim: a good phone to "make an exception for" in my opinion...HTF color on a HTF early model at a good price. What does the tab on the handset side of the case in the back of this phone do?  Is this a standard feature of AE90's? I have had only one early black one with a painted hook that did not have it. I haven't noticed that on others before...JC

I very seldom buy wall phones.
I have a lot of shelf space but not much open wall space. and I prefer the look of desk phones.

Most phones I buy now are non-standard finishes like  clear, swirled, and shiny  silver or gold type finishes.

I do  watch for HTF colors and options at a reasonable price. I got lucky on this one.
Jim

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I searched the forum and found a passing reference from Terry (AE COLLECTOR) in a Colonial Blue AE90 Thread.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15931.msg164968#msg164968
"I know that I was overjoyed to find my gray AE 90 and I assume that I will never have a Colonial Blue 90"

This makes me happy, Terry collects lots of AE phones.

Mine also has the earlier AE80 base vs a standard AE90 Base.

As a guess the AE90's with painted hookswitches may have the AE80 base.
I think I may have a black AE90 with painted hookswitch somewhere in a box of AE90's.
Jim
You live, You learn,