News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Illuminated Bell System glass globe sign

Started by david@london, June 29, 2014, 09:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

this would be a pretty amazing acquisition, a lovely bell system glass globe in superb condition.

it failed to sell last month on its 2nd listing, at $610 with 7 bids (reserve not met.)

but i think i'd rather collect it in person than trust it to the postal service !

ebay link

description from sale :

Rare vintage 2 sided glass globe public telephone sign with lighted base. All original. Don't come across many of these, complete and in this condition. Both glass sides ( signs ) are removable. They are fastened to the glass globe by 2 flat headed posts with a nut on the inside. I have a couple of pictures of the inside of the globe. Base lights up as you can see from the pictures and still has it's original union made sticker. The wiring in the base is the old wire covered in cloth/material.

On the backside of one of the signs is a sticker that reads  Robbins Drug  Omaha Ne. You can see the sticker in the second picture of the sign when lighted.

Condition - Very good,  No chips, cracks, scratches. Normal use marks on base but no dents, dings etc..

Dimensions - approximate
Globe - H 13.5"  W 12.5"  D 4.5"
Base  -  H 3.5'

Mr. Bones

Wow, David,

That is just gorgeous! I would so dearly love to have one, but it is way out of my price range. Doesn't stop me from drooling, though!

Best regards, hope all is well with you  there in London!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

david@london

hi terrence.........

thanks for your good wishes ! yes the glass sign's a real knockout isn't it ?

Sargeguy

That sign would not last more than a few days in my house before my kid broke it!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 02, 2014, 10:41:34 AM
That sign would not last more than a few days in my house before my kid broke it!

It wouldn't last more than a few days before I broke it.. :)

Ben

intagas

probably wouldn't make it to your door unbroken.Most people on ebay don't have a clue how to pack a globe.

Jim Stettler

I really haven't read this thread., However there was someone (in the north or in Canada) who was making these a number of years ago. The glass were blown-in-mold with original molds. The lettering was done with a bake-on stencil designed by someone who worked with "Bradford exchange" ( the collector plate folks). I don't know if this globe  is real or not.

Just keep in mind their were repros made like this one.  ISTR the price was on the high side (several hundred) and they may of not made any beyond the origanl run of around 12-20.
Just thought I would mention it.
Jim
I suspect I still have some correspondence regarding these.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DavePEI

Quote from: Jim S. on July 09, 2014, 07:11:39 PM
I really haven't read this thread., However there was someone (in the north or in Canada) who was making these a number of years ago. The glass were blown-in-mold with original molds. The lettering was done with a bake-on stencil designed by someone who worked with "Bradford exchange" ( the collector plate folks). I don't know if this globe  is real or not.
Hi Jim:

Thanks for reminding us. I thought I could remember talk a long time ago on one of the list about these being reproduced. Seems to me it was someone who also reproduced gas globes. I was sort of sitting here hoping someone else would recall it, because I wasn't sure if my memory was correct. Let the Buyer Beware!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

david@london

the base does have an aged 'union made' sticker. but perhaps that just recommends the base itself as authentic. caveat emptor indeed.

paul

When I saw the picture I immediately thought "that looks like a gas globe". And here you can get reproductions for $120:http://www.garageart.com/detailpage.asp?ID=16175&Category=Gas~Globe~Lights&Cat=Brand#.U8DZL6CaQds
Does anyone have old pictures that show them in actual use?