News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1 with 334A Subset Restoration has developed subset wiring issues

Started by jpbales, March 15, 2019, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbales

I finally got my box of parts and wires for the D1 and put it all together. I'm quite pleased! Here's the list of work done:
-repainted base, finger wheel, dial card holder, plunger, and the top edge of dial
-replaced the falling apart cords with new reproduction cloth
-replaced the (missing) clear dial card window
-replaced the leather base cover with a new repro leather one
-cleaned/lubed the dial
-cleaned the wires and contacts
-polished the handset
-Added a dial card (replica of Southern Bell logo, as I live in the south).

There's still a couple of issues, and help is appreciated:
-the sound thru the receiver is very, very faint. It's almost impossible to hear either yourself or others. Possibly a bad receiver? There's also a good deal of static heard from the other side.
- Someone forced an automatic electric transmitter in it. I can hear my voice  (faintly) thru the receiver. I have a proper one on the way anyway.
-It seems to dial out fine, but I have a bad case of bell tinkle. I tinkered with the ringer for a long time just to get incoming rings right, but haven't figured out how to deal with the tinkle.
-Jim

jpbales

So I hooked up the phone to the 425B network of one of my broken 500s and it seemed to work fine, except for the transmitter. I could clearly hear the voice from the other side thru the receiver. When I hook it back to the subset I get nothing, not even the faint sound I had before. I've checked and double checked the wiring, both against how it was before and against a wiring diagram for a 334A set and i'm 99% certain it's right. Attached are a photo of the phone and the subset wiring.

The only parts of the wiring i'm not sure if are:
1) the condenser has two black wires. I know where they go on the terminal strip, but does it matter which wire is hooked to what? Can they go either way?
2) I hooked up the induction coil according to my notes, and i'm pretty sure I know which wire is which, but I would have to take it back out again to be 100% sure because I can't see the numbers while it's in.

Could it still be a wiring problem? Is it a hardware failure? Thanks for the help!
-Jim

Sargeguy

There is a lot of slack in your bias spring. Try tightening that to reduce unwanted bell tapping.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jpbales

Hello everyone,
I got my D1 base and subset (which is similar to a 334) all cleaned up and I've been racking my brain for weeks on why I can't get it to work right. I tested out the D1 base with a 425 network and it works flawlessly. However, when I hook it up to the subset I have issues. I can't hear a dial tone or my own voice over the handset, yet it will dial out. The ringer rings with incoming calls. I get a lot of bell tinkle both when I pickup the handset and when I dial, but that might just be a ringer adjustment issue.

Also strange, if I switch the wiring for the green and yellow mounting wires I can then hear the dial tone. I thought maybe I had the wires reversed, BUT if I try to dial I just hear loud click sounds and it doesn't go out.

I've doubled and triple checked the wiring to diagrams posted on this forum, to 334 subset wiring diagrams, and to pictures I took of the subset before I took it apart for the restoration. I also double checked to make sure the wires to the induction coil were right. I'm not sure if it matters, but both wires on the condenser are black and I don't know if they can be reversed (though I tried them both ways and it made no difference).

Here is my wiring scheme:
Ringer
black - L1
brown - C

Condenser
black - L2/Y
black - C

Induction Coil
1 - L1
2 - 2/R
3 - C
4 - 4/GN

Mounting Cord
Yellow - L2/Y
Green - 4/GN
Red - 2/R
black- GND (it's not connected to anything)

Line Cord
Red - L1
Green - L2/Y

Attached are photos of the wiring, if that helps. Your help is much appreciated!
-Jim

Haf

jpbales,

QuoteI get a lot of bell tinkle both when I pickup the handset and when I dial, but that might just be a ringer adjustment issue.

should be an easy fix as Sargeguy has already mentioned:

QuoteThere is a lot of slack in your bias spring. Try tightening that to reduce unwanted bell tapping.

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

jpbales

When I adjust the bias spring it seems to cut off the ringing completely. I think I need to fiddle with the posts some more.

My main issue is still that I can't hear anything through the handset.
-Jim

jpbales

I discovered that a wire was disconnected on the induction coil and got that fixed, which restored the dial tone to the telephone BUT NOW I HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS!

1) little or no sound comes across the from the transmitter. I can't hear myself over my own receiver or from the phone on the other side. I think when I blew loudly into it I could just barely hear a slight change in the static from the other phone I called. I tested the transmitter in another phone and it worked fine on it's own. I tested all of the wires in the phone and the subset with a multimeter and they all seem to be connected and working. I checked all of the connections in the dial and hook switch and they all seem to work. This occurs both on a 425 network and on my subset.

2) loud POP when I pickup the handset and when the dial returns when dialing. The telephone doesn't have either of these problems when connected to a working 425 network, only when connected to the subset.

What is going on here?? I really need advice. Thanks!
-Jim

jpbales

I also just found that the POP goes away if I disconnect the condenser. Of course, the ringer doesn't work with it disconnected.
-Jim