News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reproducing WE 400 series Opaque and Clear Keys

Started by RDPipes, May 29, 2023, 07:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

A while back I had a WE 400 series with a cracked clear acrylic key and remembered I still had clear acrylic rod stock from pipe making and turned and polished one on my lathe as a pretty exact replica. Today I thought I'd try making the Bakelite keys but, instead of Bakelite (because its very expensive) I used black Ebonite rod stock I use to use for making pipe stems. Turned and polished just as I did the clear Acrylic and I think they came out near perfect. Again, if someone needs some or just even one don't hesitate to ask.

Contempra

A (3D printer) can easily do the job, Ron...Sometimes it even works wonders...

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on May 29, 2023, 08:14:24 PMA (3D printer) can easily do the job, Ron...Sometimes it even works wonders...

Thank you I'm so glad you appreciate the work I've done.
I don't have a 3D printer nor can I ever afford one so we must do things the old fashion way.
Maybe you'd like to make me some on your 3D printer next time.

AL_as_needed

Very nice work Ron, regardless of how the result was achieved. 3D Printer or not, members of the forum are a very creative bunch when it comes to making parts.

Has anyone on here make a new shell from 3D printing?

( http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27600.msg265746#msg265746 )
TWinbrook7

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on May 31, 2023, 03:20:11 PM...Back to the topic, that reproduction was nicely done. And the parts were free, considering that rod stock and tooling were already at hand.

Thank you sir, yes I was lucky I had everything already to make these. But, even if I hadn't I would surmise even after purchasing rod stock it would still be cheaper and easier for me to make them then to find a set for resale and purchase them. Bakelite or Acrylic keys of the round type don't come up very often.

Witty

Ron, you did a great job making those. They look perfect.
I wanted to ask did you get the nice finish from the lathe or did you have to buff them afterwards?
I've looked at black and clear acrylic rod stock online. I don't have a lathe but thought I could use a Dremmel table and use sand paper or a metal file to mill one down to size while it's spinning. But I would have to buff out the finish afterwards.
Ken

RDPipes

Quote from: Witty on May 31, 2023, 05:46:14 PMRon, you did a great job making those. They look perfect.
I wanted to ask did you get the nice finish from the lathe or did you have to buff them afterwards?
I've looked at black and clear acrylic rod stock online. I don't have a lathe but thought I could use a Dremmel table and use sand paper or a metal file to mill one down to size while it's spinning. But I would have to buff out the finish afterwards.
Ken, Thank you and I polished them right on the lathe as its a real pain trying to do it after on a buffing wheel because their size.
At several different times just buffing the hook switch buttons I've had one grabbed out of my hand and ricochet through the shop and never finding it. Luckily I do have spares, LOL!

TelePlay

Quote from: Witty on May 31, 2023, 05:46:14 PMI don't have a lathe but thought I could use a Dremmel table . . .

A limited number of times, I've used a variable speed power hand drill mounted to my bench top to turn down and polish stock. It's a little tricky to set up and use the first time but with practice and creative use of "cutting" tools, the end product is near lathe quality. Hand drills take up to 1/2" stock.