News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Columbus, Ohio...Opinions? We MIGHT Have to Move from Colorado!?!?

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 20, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

The breadwinner of our household, my wife, might be offered a really good job that could cause us to move to Ohio.

We love Colorado, but if she is ever going to be able to retire, she needs to go where the money is...

The company that she is talking with is in the area of Westerville, Ohio (near Columbus).

Anyone from that region?

We are hesitant to leave our place in Colorado, but need to look at the future realistically...

Thanks for any input,
Nick

paul-f

I'm not from there, but have visited quite a few times over the last 40 years.  One of my best friends from high school settled in Westerville and absolutely loves it.

He works closer to Columbus, but wanted to live out of town.  As with many parts of the country, the suburban sprawl has absorbed Westerville, but the downtown area is still charming.

Given a reasonable commuting distance, you have the option of anything from city life to rural.  It literally goes to farmland as you go farther from Columbus -- complete with harvest festivals and tractor pulls.  If you love the mountains, you're out of luck.

There are some TCI members from that area, so you might ask on their list as well.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

I'm in Worthington, Westervilles next door neighbor.  How can I help?  If you're looking for that pot of gold, I think it's in Texas.  By the way, I don't think I've seen the Sun here since about October.
Dave

Nick in Manitou

Thanks, Paul and Dave!

I am not sure how we would do if we did not have sun for months!  If we have 3 days in a row without sun, folks around here get grumpy!  (One really can get into the habit of EXPECTING to see sunshine.)

A number of years ago, we left Colorado for the California coast south of San Francisco...we had great views...when we could see them...ran back to Colorado as soon as we could.

Dave, is it really that cloudy?

If we end up doing this (she has not even gotten an offer yet) we might keep our house in Colorado and come back here on a regular basis for a sun fix!

It will be an interesting process trying to decide what to do if she gets an offer...

Nick

wds

I am born and raised here, so I'm used to the weather and the people.  During the winter we can go for 2-3 weeks straight with no direct sunlight.  It's pretty dreary here during the winter.  Even in the summer when the humidity kicks up, it can be hazy for days and weeks.  But that helps make vacations to the coast much more enjoyable.  The news ranks Columbus good for employment, but what they don't say is that most of the jobs here are Government jobs.  We're the state capital, with lots of City, County and State jobs.  And don't forget Ohio State University - the number one employer in the city and possibly the State.  Take away the government jobs and Columbus employment is just as sucky as the rest of the country.
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on March 20, 2013, 08:27:48 PM
The news ranks Columbus good for employment, but what they don't say is that most of the jobs here are Government jobs.  We're the state capital, with lots of City, County and State jobs.  And don't forget Ohio State University - the number one employer in the city and possibly the State.  Take away the government jobs and Columbus employment is just as sucky as the rest of the country.

WDS, you just described Madison Wisconsin to a "T" except I think there is much more sun in Wisconsin year round, and a lot more snow than Ohio. One of the benefits of living in the Columbus area is that it is near Dayton and that fantastic exhibit of all aircraft ever built and still in working condition in the multi-hangar museum at Wright Patterson Airforce Base.

wds

Fantastic Museum.  Well worth the trip.  And Wright Patt is a big employer.  And don't forget that Wright Patt is supposed to have as many alien spacecraft as Area 52. (roswell?)
Dave

Nick in Manitou

I have to admit that the Air Force Museum being not far away is something that I was thinking about!

As I mentioned in another post, I am an old airplane addict.  I don't have one myself, but I have been lucky enough to connect with folks that have them and I have traveled across the country several times in old Warbirds of various types.  I enjoy working on them also and have had my hands in vintage 2 and 4 engine Warbirds and a number of single engined ones.

We are now awaiting what might be the last interview (tomorrow) and then seeing what they (might) offer.

Green grass and actual trees do look nice in the photos, but we sure like where we are - and we have lived in a LOT of places prior to this one. 

We hope that they make Kathi an offer we can't refuse.

HowardPgh

If you like huge electronic fleamarkets, The Dayton Hamvention is nearby.
Howard

twocvbloke

Not to mention, the Kirby factory is just round the corner* in Cleveland... :D

(*looking on a map, the distance of 140-something miles doesn't show through!!! :D )

Nick in Manitou

Howard,
Never could get myself to master Morse Code, so I haven't gotten into the amateur radio thing.

'Bloke,
I remember driving past the great Art Deco Hoover Building outside London on my way to college back in the early '70s...I don't know what the Kerby factory looks like...

This vacuum thing seems close to your heart, were you in that business?

By-the-way, another job possibility that came up was for Kathi to work in Staines-upon-Thames, but that one didn't pan out.  I don't know if we could have afforded to live there, but it would have been fun to have someone pay us to live in England.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 21, 2013, 03:55:54 PM'Bloke,
I remember driving past the great Art Deco Hoover Building outside London on my way to college back in the early '70s...I don't know what the Kerby factory looks like...

This vacuum thing seems close to your heart, were you in that business?

The Perivale Hoover building is still there today, I think it's being used for offices now or something, and I don't know what the Kirby factory looks like though, never been there myself... :D

As for Kirbys themselves, it's a hobby really, just like phones I like quality vintage vacuum cleaners, I grew up with Kirbys as my dad was a Kirby salesman and latterly an engineer (the only way to get into the company's ranks is to start as a salesman, which is a crappy job to endure!!), and I have a rare 1981 Golden Trophy Tradition (which my dad acquired when working for them, and the thing was going to be thrown out!!), of which there are about only 10 known worldwide to still exist today, I'm sure there's more somewhere, but they're well-hidden or long-forgotten... :)

I've gone off Kirbys themselves, but I still have them, cos they're just so easy to look after, and when they're polished up, they look superb... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 21, 2013, 03:00:01 PM
I have to admit that the Air Force Museum being not far away is something that I was thinking about! As I mentioned in another post, I am an old airplane addict.

One of the hangars there is home to the one and only North American XB-70 Valkyrie Mach 3 bomber left in existence. They only made two and one crashed during a photo op. Both planes flew but that aircraft was never put into production.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=122

When I was there, it was hanging from the ceiling in its brilliant white paint. I first thought it was a Concorde. It's huge. They even have a Mercury capsule and other early space exploration displays. I think one could spend a week there and not see it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 21, 2013, 03:55:54 PM

Never could get myself to master Morse Code, so I haven't gotten into the amateur radio thing.

Well, you waited more than long enough.  The code requirement was dropped in 2007, so have fun studying for your amateur radio license while exploring the Westerville area.

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive/ARLB005/2007
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Nick in Manitou

Well, it's official...we are moving to Ohio :o

Kathi starts her new job in 2 1/2 weeks...now to figure out what to do with our house and our stuff.

Anyone want to rent a house on a ridge top in Colorado?