News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: poplar1 on Yesterday at 09:08:44 PMIt will light up the first line button whenever you go off-hook. It won't light up on incoming call.

Anyone have a spare neon lamp from a 3-line, 3-hold set, such as an ITT 2576 or 576? It would light up on an incoming call, but you would have to use the L2 or L3 socket, and eliminate the common Lamp Ground (LG).

Got ya Dave, thank you again sir.
That'll be fine, no need for me to go swapping out bulbs too, besides if I ever want to put it back to the original wiring I won't remember what I changed like my WE306 snaf-foo a while ago.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: AE 3 Slot Payphone can dia...
Last post by TelePlay - Today at 06:43:15 AM
Quote from: wanderingemperor on Yesterday at 10:09:47 PMCan you explain why putting that short in parallel with the capacitor seemingly worked?

When on hook, the capacitor allows the line cord (red and green normally) AC ring voltage to pass through the capacitor and ring the ringer, the ring circuit.

The capacitor blocks the talk circuit DC voltage from passing directly from the red and green line cord conductors through the ringer.

While the ringer will work with or without the capacitor being in the ring circuit, in series with the ringer, the capacitor is needed to prevent a DC voltage drain through the ringer.

Last post by wanderingemperor - Yesterday at 10:09:47 PM
Good to know. I tested it a few times in my config with a jumper from A - K and it worked, no busy. I took your suggestion -> Ringer to L2 and K, that works well too. Thank you.

Can you explain why putting that short in parallel with the capacitor seemingly worked?

Also, is there a diagram that explains what the connections on the board are? R, RR, A, K, C, G, etc.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote from: RDPipes on Yesterday at 04:07:06 PMWell here it is with its exterior resto finished, I'm getting something from a good friend to install in the phone so I can have the line button lamp light on incoming and out going calls.

It will light up the first line button whenever you go off-hook. It won't light up on incoming call.

Anyone have a spare neon lamp from a 3-line, 3-hold set, such as an ITT 2576 or 576? It would light up on an incoming call, but you would have to use the L2 or L3 socket, and eliminate the common Lamp Ground (LG).
Last post by poplar1 - Yesterday at 08:03:10 PM
This may still busy out the line. Putting a jumper between A and K just puts a short in parallel with the capacitor, and the capacitor is not even connected.

If you have a jumper from L1 to A, then you need to put one ringer wire on K and the other ringer wire on L2. This puts the ringer in series with the capacitor.
Last post by wanderingemperor - Yesterday at 07:49:46 PM
Thanks poplar1, I still got the busy signal when I did that. Upon further inspection, there was already a jumper between L1 and A. So I moved the ringer wires to L1 and L2, then a jumper from A to K. Now I have a ringer! Thanks again for the quick response and pointing me in the right direction.
I'm in the process of setting up diode ringing and need to know what diode is supposed to be used? will any diode work? or are they like resistors, and have certain values that need to be followed. I understand that I need to bypass the capacitor in the phones as the diode replaces that function. any help is appreciated....
Monthly Caption Challenge / Re: << December 2022 Caption C...
Last post by 19and41 - Yesterday at 05:17:06 PM
Now, what's the number for the dial a ride again?
Quote from: HarrySmith on Yesterday at 04:53:35 PMAwesome! Looks great ;D

Thank you Harry!
Awesome! Looks great ;D